Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP renewal a year before the end of the award date - really????

LadyP
forum member

Outreach worker - South Staffs Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 23

Good morning

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this?

Client has a PIP award to run from 29/4/15 - 28/4/17. Award made by appeal tribunal on 16/9/15.

Client has come to see me this morning with a further PIP claim form and the covering letter states “we are looking at your PIP award again”. Given it feels like we’ve barely had the current award in place for any period of time,  I rang the PIP helpline to find out why this had been sent out and why the DWP are looking at clients award at this time.

The advisor I spoke to couldn’t access clients records as the systems are apparently down, but she did advise me that “because of the length of time the claiming process can take, we are asking people to complete renewal forms a year before their award ends… if (my client) does not return the form her award will end”.....

I have to say I struggled with this explanation and politely told the advisor so. I mean, 12 months before the current award is due to end, really…?? Has anyone else come across this recently??

I’m usually pretty laid-back about DWP conspiracies (I imagine they’re too busy and incompetent to have the time and capability to go after individuals) but given I completed an ESA50 for the same client last week, and we had to go to appeal for that award too, client and I are both stating to feel a bit paranoid. I’m already assuming we’re heading back to HMCTS and am wondering if I should just start planning our back to back appeal hearings. On the plus side, I have a copy of the PIP claim form we completed this time last year, and as nothing has changed it will make a helpful starting point for the current forms… but a year for renewal? Please tell me I’m not the only person who finds this odd…

Advisor_1
forum member

Byker Community Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 81

All too common im afraid. What annoys me is that not only are claims reviewed a year in advance, but if the claim is not successful at renewal, the claim doesn’t continue to the award end date, it just ends there and then.

I had a client who last month won his PIP case at appeal and was awarded PIP until May 2017, and ive had to advise that there is a strong chance that he will be contacted this month to go through a renewal.

LadyP
forum member

Send message

Well I suppose it’s nice to know it’s nothing personal but how ridiculous. Can envisage us all back in front of the appeal panel less than 12 months since the last time and with several months to go before the last award is due to end…. My life is starting to feel like Groundhog Day..

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

LadyP, that’s exactly the situation a client recently found herself in. Second tribunal in less than a year in relation to the same issue. PIP refused, appeal allowed, PIP renewed, PIP refused, tribunal allowed…. client has serious mental health diagnosis and the progress of events did nothing to help her condition.

LadyP
forum member

Send message

Thanks for the replies and the links guys - some informative, albeit depressing, reading.

1964, snap with your clients health issues; if I were a more cynical person I’d wonder about the number of clients with serious mental health issues who seem to be targeted in this way.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

There are Legal Eagles looking at the lawfulness of this; I don’t know whether proceedings will arise but I know they’re brooding on it.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Dan Manville - 11 May 2016 02:54 PM

There are Legal Eagles looking at the lawfulness of this; I don’t know whether proceedings will arise but I know they’re brooding on it.

A brooding Debra Winger, Darryl Hannah and Robert Redford? Thought they just did art and fires and stuff?

sara lewis
forum member

Welfare rights service -Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 52

A Presenting Officer told me a couple of weeks ago that the computer system generates renewal forms 12 months before an award ends.