to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP renewal (early!)

Sangeeta1
forum member

Support Services, Cystic Fibrosis Trust, London

Send message

Total Posts: 21

I have an 18 year old client with Cystic Fibrosis who was transferred to PIP a while back. He was awarded ERM and SRDL until December 2016. Upon reconsideration he was given Enhanced rate for both.

He was sent out a renewal form in December 2015! This had to be returned by January 2016, and he has been awarded 0 points, following a face-to-face consultation. The award has been removed in a decision dated 15/3/2016.

He is going to challenge this; but has anyone heard of a renewal for PIP being sent out this early? There appears to be no change of circumstances reported to trigger this. Any ideas appreciated.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Terry Craven
forum member

Benefit Advice & Appeals Service, Liverpool Veterans

Send message

Total Posts: 39

Unfortunately, yes it seems to be common practice. I spoke to the DWP who came up with a cock and bull story about the recommendation of Maximus.

Sangeeta1
forum member

Send message

Thanks, very useful. Depressing though.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

fran.elkington
forum member

ECIl - Information & Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 7

I have also come across this a couple of times and queried it with PIP who said this was the required time! it seems excessive and also information given for a year ahead could be inaccurate.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

fran.elkington - 24 March 2016 12:13 PM

I have also come across this a couple of times and queried it with PIP who said this was the required time! it seems excessive and also information given for a year ahead could be inaccurate.

It’s not a year ahead though; reg 11 of the PIP regs allows them to reassess at any time and a medical report is enough to supersede. So what they’re doing is setting an award date then using a discretionary power to review it a year before it’s due to expire.

I’d be interested to see counsel’s opinion of whether fettering such a discretionary power is lawful when set against a fixed term award; it strikes me -to borrow the legal parlance- as well dodge

Terry Craven
forum member

Benefit Advice & Appeals Service, Liverpool Veterans

Send message

Total Posts: 39

Dan Manville - 24 March 2016 03:44 PM
fran.elkington - 24 March 2016 12:13 PM

It’s not a year ahead though; reg 11 of the PIP regs allows them to reassess at any time and a medical report is enough to supersede. So what they’re doing is setting an award date then using a discretionary power to review it a year before it’s due to expire.

I’d be interested to see counsel’s opinion of whether fettering such a discretionary power is lawful when set against a fixed term award; it strikes me -to borrow the legal parlance- as well dodge

I agree Dan, the problem is they are actually bringing forward or rather reducing the length of the award. To me it does need a JR. Possibly CPAG would be interested in taking a test case. I’m not sure whether Rightsnet are up for it. I’m sure Shawn will enlighten please?

Sangeeta1
forum member

Send message

Thanks all. Feels all wrong and I’m sure it should be challenged.