to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

“Unplanned intervention” stops PIP payments

WROTricia
forum member

Advice Works, Renfrewshire

Send message

Total Posts: 103

I have a PIP claimant who called to advise PIP her medication had been increased and the claim was subsequently stopped. The DWP advise this was due to an “unplanned intervention” - currently awaiting a call back (since Thursday) for someone to explain what that means. No PIP2 was issued, no assessment, no decision notice. Client realised when no payment and called, was advised PIP had stopped and should never have been paid in first place??? Claim has been running for a year and not due for renewal until 2018. Does anyone else have experience of this? I can’t find anything to support this course of action - have i missed something? All info gratefully received.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3144

This has come up a few times on the forums. Essentially an unplanned intervention means that a decision has been made on the claim earlier than the DWP anticipated. The term doesn’t go to the substance of the decision.

Based on what you are saying, it sounds as though her request for a supersession has led to a DM looking at her case again and realising she was never entitled for some reason. It seems unlikely to be directly related to the change she reported because that would not change her past entitlement. Perhaps there are issues with residency/hospital in-patient or there are mistakes in the original decision. I think you will need to see the decision notice to sort it out.