Total Posts: 3553

DMG 4/20 and ADM 2/20

[ Edited: 23 Mar 2020 at 03:23 pm by Daphne ]
Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Is anyone clear about whether vulnerable people who are strongly advised to ‘socially distance’ themselves or extremely vulnerable people who are supposed to ‘shield and protect’ themselves are covered by these rules. I think not and they seem to be in a confused space in respect of both employment rights and benefits.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

I think they are covered.  The guidance refers to people who have been advised to self-isolate, and Decision makers are referred to the government’s website listing people who are vulnerable as being advised to self-isolate. So it seems to me that if someone has diabetes, a chest condition, a heart condition ... then they have already been advised to self-isolate and they are covered.

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

Ruth Knox - 24 March 2020 03:34 PM

I think they are covered.  The guidance refers to people who have been advised to self-isolate, and Decision makers are referred to the government’s website listing people who are vulnerable as being advised to self-isolate. So it seems to me that if someone has diabetes, a chest condition, a heart condition ... then they have already been advised to self-isolate and they are covered.

I’m still not so sure….those Age 70+ or with underlying conditions are not included under the self-isolation guidance they are under social distancing https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

I can’t see anything that uses the words self-isolate in terms of this group.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Yes I may have been too optimistic here. When I read it again it did seem more limiting.  But it would seem perverse to put a vulnerable group in a situation where they are denied benefits if they do the sensible thing and are perhaps forced into work

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Yes maybe I was too generous in my interpretation of advised to here. But it would seem perverse to deny a vulnerable group benefits and therefore pressurizevthem into continuing to work.

bristol_1
forum member

WRAMAS Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 245

So the ADM 02/20 only refers to self-employed who have LCW being exempt from MIF.
But Neil Couling’s letter of 23 Mar says the MIF is suspended for ‘all self-employed claimants affected by the economic impact of COVID19’.
So is the ADM wrong?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1421

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

I think Victoria was right.  I am now really worried about the group of people who are at high risk if they develop the disease but have only been advised to be extra careful in their social distancing (whatever that means - which parts do the rest of us not have to be so careful about?)  As I now read it, this is going to leave a lot of people who are at serious risk (say with COPD) unable to self-isolate and claim ESA (unless they think they have actually caught the virus).  What do others think?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

If they have pre-existing conditions, then presumably fit notes could be issued on the basis of those conditions. If someone has COPD etc which wouldn’t normally keep them out of work but, given the prevailing conditions, they have now been advised that any work (or leaving the house at all) could amount to a risk to their health, I don’t see what’s to stop the GP just issuing a fit note which says as much.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Elliot Kent - 26 March 2020 08:56 AM

I don’t see what’s to stop the GP just issuing a fit note which says as much.

I’ve not revisited the guidance but I thought the Isolation Notes covered this.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

I think it only covers people who have been advised to self-isolate because they either have symptoms or live with someone who does.