PIP regulations to be amended

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

shawn - 28 February 2017 10:18 AM

Everything’s okay ..... it’s not a cut apparently according to the BBC’s new ‘reality check’ service:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39106548

whilst thats technically correct what it is is also very concerning.

this is another example of the government not liking the decisions made in a court/tribunal so just amending the rules or ignoring the decision to suit themselves.

whats the point in the judicial process?

as i seen pointed out elsewhere, they have moved rapidly on this yet continue to ignore decisions like the supreme court bedroom tax one.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

I’m far from convinced that the SSAC exemption properly applies here. They’re trying to spin this whole ‘shock, unexpected’ narrative over something that has been there from the start, and was not controversial until they changed their own guidelines in 2014 to redefine ‘following’ as navigating, but without changing the regulations. That patch was bound to come off sooner or later.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1013

Stating the annoyingly obvious regarding “bizarre tribunal decisions” etc etc etc DWP agreed etc etc

HL v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (PIP) [2015] UKUT 0694 (AAC) that ‘Her fall-back case is that “overwhelming psychological distress”  should not be confined to 1b and 1e where it is expressly mentioned, but is capable of being relevant to a person’s ability to “follow the route”.  As noted at [7c], this point is acceded by the Secretary of State and I agree.  The question always, though, is whether the ability to “follow the route” in the sense outlined above is impaired by a claimant’s physical or mental condition’.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

Here’s a link to today’s Urgent Question and the Secretary of State’s response:

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/dbf6cdf9-bcab-4552-9ef0-215cc37f1ba5?in=13:08:09

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 231

Hi,

Would anyone have a copy of the 2014 PIP guidance before the change and after the to redefine ‘following’ as navigating?

This is to see if we might pursue the SSAC issue that Mr. Finch has raised.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Wensleyfoss
forum member

Disability Advice & Welfare Network

Send message

Total Posts: 61

shawn - 28 February 2017 01:59 PM

Here’s a link to today’s Urgent Question and the Secretary of State’s response:

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/dbf6cdf9-bcab-4552-9ef0-215cc37f1ba5?in=13:08:09

That’s an hour I will never get back!

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

I only have an extract from the 2013 guidance, covering the specific activities, but it does contain the line about using public transport, which was reassuring to a lot of people at the time. It’s more telling for what it doesn’t say (anything about a difference between navigating and other difficulties, or why there was a departure from the lower mobility in DLA which was really very similar wording to 11d).

The 2014 update is so exaggerated in what it demands without a proper basis (particularly for 11b and 11e), that it seems like overcompensation.

In Sumpter (JR on 20 metre rule), the DWP successfully argued that the rule was justified because they had moved resources from physical disabilities to other kinds. H rate mobility was already there for blindness and dangerous behaviour in DLA, so what else did they have in mind? (And the most anyone is asking for now is that the lower rate is preserved for help going out, not increased. I think MH held that 11e is the limit and so 11f is still unavailable for distress.)

Also as Billy pointed out, the consultation response was clear that needing someone with you scores.

File Attachments

forum member

Send message

Attached an Research briefing from the commons has lots of links may be of use?

Draft Social Security (Personal Independence Payment) Regulations 2013
Standard Note:
Last updated:
28 January 2013
Author:
Steven Kennedy
Section
Social Policy Section
Personal

File Attachments

Wensleyfoss
forum member

Send message

I asked my contact at Atos yesterday, about the Improvement Plan. I also wanted some info on the audio recording trial that the Sec of State mentioned yesterday. I really didn’t get an answer back, just that audio assessments are available at all AC’s as long as the person has followed the process. It’s like wading through a treacle swamp in fog!

S2uABZ
forum member

Money adviser - Aberdeen City Council Financial Inclusion Team

Send message

Total Posts: 130

Damn . .  I’ve not long finished reading the updated PIP Assessment Guide from September :(

forum member

Send message

Here’s a copy of the May 2014 HP PIP asssessment guidance just in case?

File Attachments

Wensleyfoss
forum member

Send message

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

edit; I take it back! 2013 PIP assessment guide.

consultation response is here

[ Edited: 1 Mar 2017 at 12:12 pm by Dan_Manville ]

File Attachments

sue c
forum member

Wefare rights - Lewes and Seaford CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 22

I have read that the changes come into force only for NEW CLAIMS made from 16 March but can find no reference. Is this correct and why?

Sue

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

sue c - 01 March 2017 11:57 AM

I have read that the changes come into force only for NEW CLAIMS made from 16 March but can find no reference. Is this correct and why?

Sue

New regs say “Coming into force 16th March 2017” but as far as I can see, it will affect new and repeat claims from that point if implemented. Current claimants won’t be affected until reassessment so maybe that’s where confusion comes from?