× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Local authority Welfs

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

This is one for local authority welfs;

I was wondering which department or directorate do most LA welfs work for work for.  There are two of us here, I work for Adult Social Care and my colleague works for Children, Young people and Families and we are both part of what might be termed ‘Social Services’. This obviously isn’t the only set up and we were rather curious about how our type of service is organised in other areas.

NB I know that making this sort of enquiry on 23rd December will forever mark me out as a sad anorak!

Happy Christmas

Pete.

Joe Collins
forum member

Wirral Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 20

There is no shame in being an anorak!

In Wirral we are part of the Department of Adult Social Services. However, that of itself is of little practical significance as we offer our services to all sections of the Local Authority (as well as directly to the public).

It would be interesting to know the size of welfare rights units in other Local Authorities. We now have 3 advisers. This is down from 4.5 posts following a voluntary redundancy process in December 2010.

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

I used to be a LA welf until about 18 months ago. Most recently we were in Adult Social Care, but before that the team was in ‘Communities’ for a while. We were in Communities with Trading Standards, which does make some sense due to their consumer rights advice responsibilities.

Jane

Tracey D
forum member

Welfare benefits advisor - Peterborough City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 127

I am the sole welfare benefits advisor at Peterborough City Council and I am in Customer Services - which is also where our face to face Revs and Bens officers are based.  Although interestingly, we have all just been outsourced this month to a private company (Serco)  ...

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

We are part of an integrated NHS care trust (prevously part of Devon County Council, then Torbay Unitary, now NHS). However, the adult social care funding is delegated from Torbay Council to the NHS care trust, although the council retains legal responsibility for adult social care. The welfare rights part of our service involves self (manager), 1 x general adviser, 1 x mental health outreach. However the work covers much more than welfare rights. although that plays a very large part. Also have posts covering carer information and web information sheets.

Gary Vaux
forum member

Money Advice Unit, Herts County Council, Stevenage

Send message

Total Posts: 3

We are part of Health and Community Services (which was Adult Care Servics until recently but now includes Libraries and Health Promotion). Like others though, it is largely meaningless as we offer all our second-tier services (training, information, adviceline etc) to all Council Depts (as well as NHS, district councils and volorgs) and we get some project-specific funding from Childrens Services as well. A guide to how we work is attached.

File Attachments