to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

IB adult dependant increase and CA

slaw
forum member

Macmillan benefits advice team - Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 88

I have a client who receives IB of £130.40 per week (??).  He has been rec IB for many years.  I have been unable to see a breakdown of this award and it has been confirmed via a bank statement.  I cannot figure out how this is made up but my client seems to think it includes an adult dependant increase for his wife.  I can’t find much info on this and the amounts we have don’t add up to what my client gets(£94.25 + £54.75).  Can anyone shed any light?

Also, my client has just had his DLA superseded to high-rate care comp.  What will happen to IB increase if his wife claims CA?

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

You don’t see them very often these days but it is indeed an adult dependant addition (£54.75 pw on LTHR IB). He will lose the addition if his wife claims CA and they should make it clear on the CA claim form that a dependant addition is currently being included in his IB. I would also advise them to contact his BDC to notify them as well if she claims CA.

forum member

Send message

...Whoops!! I take it all back- sorry- having just read your first post properly, you’re right- if he’s receiving £130.40 pw it doesn’t tie in to an adult dependant addition. How long has he been in receipt of IB? Was he getting IVB prior to that? If so, his award could still include a SERPS addition. If so, and there is no adult dependant addition, his wife can claim CA without his payments being affected.

I think you’ll have to check how his award has been calculated before advising them further.

tony pickering
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Derbyshire County Council, High Peak

Send message

Total Posts: 108

Is his award reduced due to receiving an occupational pension over £85 a week?  If so, he could be getting an adult addition.

slaw
forum member

Send message

I have had clarification from my client that he did indeed receive Invalidity Benefit all those years ago and was transferred over.  Does this explain anything?

We have now contacted helpline (had been reluctant to) who have told us there is an adult dependant addition included in the amount but they couldn’t tell us how much it is and give a breakdown.  This has confused things more as the addition surely can’t be £54.75pw, or is there some transitional rules that could explain this?

In response to other post: No, my client doesn’t have a reduction due to an occupational pension

slaw
forum member

Send message

My client has phoned and told me ICB section have contacted him as he was given incorrect information.  Client doesn’t receive adult dependant addition but instead receive an extra amount that is “index-linked” (whatever that means).  This sounds like an addition due to NI cotributions or SERPS, as previously posted on here.

So, ICB section have confirmed my client’ wife can claim CA without it affecting my client’s ICB.  Bloody useless that benefits helpline!

Thanks to all who contributed

forum member

Send message

I’m glad the mystery is solved- there can’t be many of the old IBV SERPS additions cases around now. If they are going to claim IS top up, I’d suggest claim is in partner’s name- it’ll make life far easier.