to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Assuming level of non-dep deductions for non-earners

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Shelter’s Guide to Housing Benefit (6.30) says LA can make an assumption about the level of non-dep deduction only if the non-dep is in work. Is there a definitive source for this, and is there a source that is easily understandable for clients (not to mention myself)?
The DWP manual at 5.550 only describes the assumption under the heading of remunerative work. But, all the literature I’ve looked at does not actually spell out this distinction, eg:

- Many LA leaflets say: “Until evidence of a non-dependant’s income is provided, the highest deduction may be taken from your benefit.” then quotes examples of evidence which include benefit letters.

- Shelter website: “The council will deduct the maximum amount if have no evidence about a non-dependant’s income.” [I think this needs to be updated following CH/48/2006 .. ]

My case involves a non-dep with no suggestion of work as far as we know. CB for non-dep ended, they start some sort of college course (we’re seeking the details) and appear to have zero income.CTB claimant puts all this in writing, but the LA apply the maximum deduction. The calculation sheet on the non-dep line shows: “Gross income (weekly) £0.00”, “Income band” is left blank, and then “Deduction (council tax) £8.60”. The reason for decision is simply “Change in Financial Circumstances”.

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

The “definitive source” is the legislation itself - regulation 58 of the CTB Regs 2006 (“working age” version).  Where a non-dep is not in “remunerative work” (i.e. 16 hrs per week or more, on average), para 2 of regulation 58 makes it unequivocal that the non-dep deduction shall be £2.85 per week (2011/12 rate - per blue-volume SI)).  In anticipation of the LA arguing the level of income still matters, it doesn’t.  If a non-dep is not in RW, the deduction under CTBR 58(2) still applies - even if the non-dep’s income is hundreds of £s per week (because the deduction under para 2 isn’t driven by income levels).

There is no alternative; the LA must apply THAT deduction unless it is arguing the non-dep is in fact in remunerative work.  If the latter, on what evidence?  If the LA refuses to play ball, simply appeal.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Send message

Thanks Kevin, that’s more clear-cut than I thought.

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

Another thing to point out is that the claimant has already provided some evidence, in the form of their letter. It’s porbably not what the LA is looking for, but it is still evidence

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 616

If you want some more definitive sources which confirm what Kevin says see CH/2324/2003 at paragraph 12 along with CH/0048/2006 that was cited in the earlier post

[ Edited: 13 Dec 2011 at 02:11 pm by Stainsby ]

File Attachments

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Send message

Thanks! For the record, the decision was immediately over-turned on appeal.

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

Craven CAB welfare benefits - 13 December 2011 02:25 PM

For the record, the decision was immediately over-turned on appeal.

*laughs*