to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

no NINO no PIP HELP

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

my client is a USA national has indefinite leave to remain in UK< has tried to claim PIP but has no NINO, has been told by PIP no NINO no PIP, has tried to get a NINO but has been told by NINO HQ that as she is not looking for work or fulfilling any   of the other NINO requirements she can’t have a NINO, however NINO has said if PIP ask them they will create a nINO for benefits purposes,

however PIP will not accept a claim and will not speak to NINO HQ
nay ideas how I can get a PIP claim doen, we have tried online but no oy and have filled n a form and sent it but again PIP deny receiving any forms , presumably as no NINO so they ignore any applications we try to make. I understood that an actual NINO may not be a requirement and we have put this to teh PIP helpline but they have ignored this advice which is I think from CPAG

Help please

BHCAC
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker- Bosnia and Herzegovinia Community Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 44

You are correct, no NINO is needed to make an application for PIP, the person just need to be in the process of applying for one (See Below).

Under sections 1(1A) and (1B) of the Social Security Administration Act 1992, the NINo requirement is satisfied where a claimant provides her/his NINo, evidence or information necessary to ascertain her/his NINo or, under section 1(1B)(b), where: ‘the person makes an application for a national insurance number to be allocated to him which is accompanied by information or evidence enabling such a number to be so allocated’ (emphasis added).

There is a process that they should be following when a PIP application is made for someone who does not have NINO ( See below)

(https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/pip_claims_with_no_national_insu/response/1695681/attach/3/PIP03%20PIP%20Claims%20Telephony%20v%207.6.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1)

It seems that the online process is not possible for someone without a NINO however you should still be able to start a claim over the phone and then get sent the paper form.

If you do not get anywhere a formal complaint to DWP may help.

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

thanks BH will try that appraoh