Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

U.C carer element

NIGELB
forum member

Rotherham and District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 56

Good morning
I have a client who has recently claimed UC and has been caring for their mother but not claimed any benefit. The mother receives the applicable carer elements as no one claims CA, however in the new claim it would seem the client has said they care for mum and as a result mums premiums are going to stop.

Is there anyway of reversing this issue?
My thought is report change of circs to UC and don’t claim carer element
mum contacts CA and says no one claiming it
but I fear this may start a change and the mother having to claim UC.

I hope someone can guide me as I’ve been looking all morning on a possible way
I suspect the client didn’t take advice 1st and I also suspect the jobcentre may not have highlighted what would happen

thank you for any help or guidance

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 201

the carer element is awarded to customers who have caring responsibilities, not to those that need care, so if the Mum is getting the carers element, it will be because she has said she is caring for someone.
from Turn2us:

Carer’s Element
This element is £185.86 per month.

You can get this element if you are providing care for at least 35 hours per week for someone who gets

Attendance Allowance, or
The highest or middle rate care component of Disability Living Allowance or Child Disability Payment, or
Daily living component of Personal Independence Payment, or
Armed Forces Independences Payment, or
Constant Attendance Allowance of £83.10 per week paid with Industrial Injuries Benefit or War Disablement Pension.
You do not have to claim Carer’s Allowance to get this element.

Unlike Carer’s Allowance or Carer Support Payment (Scotland) where you are prevented from claiming if you are earning above a certain level (£139 per week for 2023/24), for the Carer’s Element your level of earnings does not prevent you from claiming. However, as the Carer’s Element is a part of Universal Credit (UC), which is means tested, your earnings and other income will affect how much Universal Credit overall you are entitled to.

NIGELB
forum member

Send message

sorry i meant no one has been claiming carers allowance . mum gets the applicable premium but now the son has claimed UC and has had carer element added which has triggered a letter to stop the premium for mum. Naturally mum not happy.

my thoughts are the son retracts the UC claim and start again which possibly enables mum to get premiums reinstated but would it mean mum has to claim UC.
and also might trigger an investigation possibly

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3216

What benefit is the mother currently claiming? Presumably you mean she had the severe disability premium (SDP) paid previously with whichever benefit she is claiming and this has stopped due to son telling DWP that he is caring for her for 35 hours a week?

If so, surely all you need to do is advise the son to notify DWP that he is no longer caring for his mother so they remove the carer element from his UC award and at that point, mother contacts DWP and asks for the SDP to be reinstated?

NIGELB
forum member

Send message

Thank you
Thats what I thought as in the person claiming UC retract that claim for carer element
the mum is on income related ESA near to state pension age i just wondered if it was as straightforward as getting reinstated or would it be deemed as a claim for UC
I know its a bit messy
sorry

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3216

The mother doesn’t need to claim UC at all.

She has had one change of circumstances, which has seen the SDP taken off her ESA award.

Now there will be another change of circumstances, when the son tells DWP he is no longer caring for his mother, which means she becomes entitled to the SDP with her ESA award again.

At this point, his UC award is also adjusted to remove the carer element. And that’s that as far as I can see,

NIGELB
forum member

Send message

Thank you Paul.
Sorry I wasn’t clear in the 1st instance

I thought he would be ok to change but I was worried the mum might have to claim UC.
I just need to find the reference for all this now, but I know what you mean
thanks again