Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Couple UC claim both by both phone and online?

BCD
forum member

Kirklees council

Send message

Total Posts: 51

I have a client who is banned from owning or using an internet capable device under the terms of his release from prison on license (he was on a IPP sentence). He lives with his wife. At some point in the near-ish future they may need to make a joint claim for UC (depending on the outcome of an ongoing legacy benefits issue). She wants to make the claim online as she has a speech impediment and tics amongst other things and does not like talking on the phone.

I suppose that he could apply to vary the terms of his license to see if they will allow a UC claim to be made and managed online, although this may raise problems and I would prefer not to go down this route.  I was wondering whether it is possible to have a joint UC claim where his is a telephone claim and hers online?

Anybody else ever come across this or have any ideas?

UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 209

Hi BCD,
Every Jobcentre either has a MAPPA officer or one assigned. The following is an extract from our MAPPA guide.
............Non Digital Claimants
An ex-offender identified as a MAPPA case with
internet restrictions and also without access
to a phone, who wishes to make a claim to
Universal Credit, should be seen face to face
in the Jobcentre. Where there are indications
the claimant may pose a risk to staff, control
measures should be put in place.
Face to face appointments will be required to
provide evidence to confirm their identity, and
declare and verify changes of circumstance as
they will not be able to do this via their journal.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5bd1962eed915d788c99f1b6/Devon___Cornwall_MAPPA_Annual_Report_2017-18.pdf

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 228

I’m not familiar with the nature of these kind of terms of release. However my thought process would be, can she physically create the UC online claim for them both, including opening an email address to connect the claim. Once the claim is up and running, he calls the helpline whenever he needs to engage with it directly?