to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Joint claim for UC - practical question

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 771

Wonder if anyone can quickly answer this?

Am just dealing with assisting a couple reclaim after their UC award was (in my view incorrectly) ended. They have both commenced UC new claims.

Both of them now have a “To Do” to join their claim in the journal.

However, to take the code from one journal and use it on the other,  requires that one of them has completed the claims process. Neither can therefore do so.

Am I right in thinking that we will need to get one of them to start again, put in the linking code at the start and then complete the form?

It seems made to require one to be completed before the other can be started.

Sorry if this is a “doh didn’t you know that!” question covered elsewhere which those of you who spend more time in the trenches of frontline work than I do know about….

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

I am just trying my best to remember this so might have it wrong, but I think when you make the claim you have a box to tick where you either say that you are making a new claim and need a linking code or you are making a new claim and already have a linking code.

I am wondering if your clients have both ticked the same box and you are trying to force two positive magnets together.

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 771

thanks. will start one again.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 451

Resurrecting an old thread - does anyone know how long the code lasts to link the accounts together? In the gov.uk guidance it says you have 28 days to make a claim but i’m fairly sure that’s not how long the code lasts but I could be wrong.

UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 209

In my experience it is one week. The expiry date is given under the code itself.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 451

Lovely, thank you