to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Claiming PIP before reaching State Pension Age

Hammer
forum member

Online Advice/THT Direct - Terrence Higgins Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 11

I have a service user with multiple health problems who will turn 66 on 31/01/2024. This the current state pension age. He is not currently claiming PIP and has never before claimed a disability benefit. When I spoke with him today I told him to start the claims process for PIP. He states he contacted the DWP after our call and was told that they would/could not issue a claim form for him as he will reach 66 before any decision is made on his claim. Although I don’t believe this to be correct - as I understand it the date of claim being the date the PIP1 is completed - I wanted to check this is the case and that so long as he makes a claim prior to reaching 66 the DWP will have to determine it and if entitled, to pay PIP from the start date and beyond if the service user continues to meet the conditions of entitlement. Is this correct?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

Yes - if the claim is made before reaching the relevant age then an award can be made. See reg 25(b) PIP Regs. As you say, the date of claim is when the initial PIP1 is filled in over the phone (and not, say, the date that the PIP2 is returned).

It may simply be a case of ringing up and speaking to someone else to get a different answer.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

You’re completely correct, we’ve heard about this sort of gatekeeping nonsense from our local advisers.

Regs 11 and 12 of the Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payment, Jobseeker’s Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance (Claims and Payments) Regulations 2013 are clear that your client can instigate a PIP claim by telephone and provided that the claim form is properly completed etc, the date of claim is the date of initial contact i.e. the telephone call.

Hammer
forum member

Online Advice/THT Direct - Terrence Higgins Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Hi Elliot and Paul,

Thank you both for your replies. I’ll tell him to contact the DWP again and start the PIP claims process - hopefully he will get the correct response on this occasion.