to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Conditionality and sanctions  →  Thread

Conditionality for responsible carers of children aged 3 to 12 inclusive

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 369

Lots of people (mostly clients) are telling me that JC+ staff say guidance is changing from 31.10.23, so that expected hours for responsible carers of children aged 3 to 12 on UC /JSA will be 30.

That was one of the changes announced in July (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/thousands-of-parents-to-benefit-from-more-work-coach-support#:~:text=From%20today%20(24%20July%202023,help%20them%20prepare%20for%20work), when they just said ‘the autumn’.  I haven’t seen the date anywhere written down - so no official source.

I was hoping this might be one of the changes delayed after PCS negotiation, but it looks as if it might be happening very soon. Nothing has changed on gov.uk yet (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment-quick-guide/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment#:~:text=Support%20from%20your%20work%20coach,-If%20you%20need&text=If%20you%20are%20able%20to,section%20in%20your%20online%20account) and I noticed that the expected hours guidance hasn’t changed in the recently updated deposited papers either (https://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2023-0791/063._Expected_hours_V6.0_.pdf).

This is obviously a big change from the current 16/25 depending on child’s age so it would be good to have a source if anyone has one. Thanks!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

I can ask via stakeholder forum if you would like Will?

WillH
forum member

Send message

Yes please! I’d appreciate that Daphne.

Will

PCarysforth
forum member

Money Advice Jigsaw Homes Group

Send message

Total Posts: 9

this will make a huge difference to the income threshold for the minimum income floor too - can see that affecting a lot more claimants in the next few years xx

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

WillH - 18 October 2023 07:26 PM

Yes please! I’d appreciate that Daphne.

Will

Consider it done Will :)

WillH
forum member

Send message

Got my answer…

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/maximum-number-of-hours-that-universal-credit-claimants-with-children-aged-three-to-12-are-expected-to-work-or-look-for-work-increased-to-30-per-week-from-today

As noted in the Rightsnet article, the press release says self-employed parents are not affected, which presumably means their expected hours will remain at 16 or 25, and if the MIF is applied it will be based on those hours. Let’s hope so!

[ Edited: 25 Oct 2023 at 06:20 pm by WillH ]
Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Today’s Touchbase:

Employment boost for thousands of parents on Universal Credit
From this week, thousands of parents on Universal Credit will be supported to increase their chances of getting a job or increasing their work hours. 
Parents of 3 to 12-year-olds will agree with their Work Coach to spend more time in work or applying for jobs, up to a maximum of 30 hours a week.

Hah! Yes, they “will agree” to increase their work search. What a choice of wording.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Va1der - 27 October 2023 02:53 PM

Today’s Touchbase:

Employment boost for thousands of parents on Universal Credit
From this week, thousands of parents on Universal Credit will be supported to increase their chances of getting a job or increasing their work hours. 
Parents of 3 to 12-year-olds will agree with their Work Coach to spend more time in work or applying for jobs, up to a maximum of 30 hours a week.

Hah! Yes, they “will agree” to increase their work search. What a choice of wording.

I’m afraid to say what I think about this smoke and mirrors as I will probably be banned from the forum.

Carri
forum member

CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 51

If you’ve come to this thread with a case where the new rules are being used, please could you share details with CPAG’s Early Warning System .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) for possible future policy work. Thanks very much

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1418

WillH - 25 October 2023 05:57 PM

As noted in the Rightsnet article, the press release says self-employed parents are not affected, which presumably means their expected hours will remain at 16 or 25, and if the MIF is applied it will be based on those hours. Let’s hope so!

It was announced in the small print of the Autumn Statement today that the MIF will now be increased for such parents.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 333

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

They only update the guidance in the HoC library about every 6 months, so we won’t see any updated until prob about April or so. Unless you do an FOI to get updated guidance more quickly