Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Fantastic, interactive dummy UC claim form!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

With huge thanks to David Williams at Caerphilly citizens advice (who built it) here is a link to an interactive, dummy UC claim form.

Online dummy universal credit claim form

It is incredible, you can put the answers in and it takes you to the next page that you would go to if you were completing the actual form - perfect if you’re completing a form over the phone with someone and need to follow what’s happening yourself.

Also perfect for training purposes.

And what’s more, David keeps an eye on any changes and regularly updates it - you can see the current version is dated 1 November 2022.

An amazing piece of work in my view!

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Wow. Yes this is genuinely hugely helpful and is something I’ve been wanting to do for ages. Not sure I would ever have got around to it, and it almost certainly wouldn’t have been as easy to follow so great work David!

I’d love to be able to see previous versions too if that was ever possible? Starting to get UC appeals where knowing what questions are asked and how the form is structured at the point of claiming would be really interesting.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Great effort!

Same as Tom, I’ve thought about doing this, but would likely never have gotten round to it.

An index would be a useful addition, to access just an individual screen if you know what you’re looking for.

Anna S
forum member

Turn2Us

Send message

Total Posts: 16

This is fantastic!

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 238

Message deleted.
Have now found the answer to my question.

[ Edited: 4 Nov 2022 at 04:23 pm by Helen Rogers ]
seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

Helen Rogers - 04 November 2022 04:15 PM

Jumping on this thread to ask a question.

I’ve just gone through this form.  It doesn’t have any where to add non-deps.  If you click on who lives with you, it only asks about children.  I just wanted to make double sure that this is the case on the real life form, as this is pertinent to an appeal that I have over the amount of Bedroom Tax.  No wonder the non-dep was missed if you can’t put them on the form!

I’ve not gone through this on the dummy form to check what happens, but you have to add in housing costs first in a real claim - as the issue of non dependants isn’t relevant otherwise

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2915

This is really impresssive, I will name check this and the person responsible quite often I expect.  Great work and thanks for sharing

David Williams
forum member

Universal Credit Support, Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent

Send message

Total Posts: 1

New update (11/11/2022):

Tweaks and changes to the housing costs questions. mainly shared ownership, temp accommodation and other accommodation (caravan, houseboat etc).

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

Thanks David, this is great.

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 370

David you are a star of the welfare rights world.

Thank you.

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 601

WillH - 27 November 2023 04:42 PM

Definitely.  David - are you keeping records of past versions?  Is there a way in which this tool could be a record of changes to the claim form through time?

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

This is absolutely brilliant, David, and much needed.  Thank you.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1017

Absolutely!!!

[ Edited: 28 Nov 2023 at 05:11 pm by shawn mach ]
Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 771

David- this is absolutely brilliant.

Just one thought- and suggestion for more brilliant work I’m afraid - often it is useful to be able to see what the form looked like at particular dates. For example- let me see the question about housing costs as it was before it said clearly that a person who gets HB does indeed pay rent.

Would it be possible, when making changes to archive the old version of the form and then do a page with links to the form as it was at various dates? Might be a lot harder to do for historical changes but even going forward that would be really useful.

Again, thanks so much for providing this form. It is such a great tool. I can think of various cases CPAG have been in at UT and Court of Appeal where actually the Judges could have usefully been asked to spend some of their prep time making a claim to see how the system (mis)functions.

Martin

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 771

Owen_Stevens - 27 November 2023 05:57 PM

Definitely.  David - are you keeping records of past versions?  Is there a way in which this tool could be a record of changes to the claim form through time?

Oh dear - I see Owen has already essentially made the same point - must read posts by my colleagues before posting…..

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

The MS equivalent lets you copy the forms you create, and you can then rename and modify the copy to preserve old versions. I’d think Google docs would have implemented the same/similar functionality.