× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Welfare Rights Services in Exeter?

Tameside MBC Welfare Rights
forum member

Mental Health WR & Debt Advice Service, Tameside MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 43

Good afternoon,

I have a friend who I’ve been supporting with a PIP claim which is now at the SSCS1 required stage, but they live in Exeter and I in Greater Manchester. They struggle with phone or video calls so everything is being conducted via pretty lengthy emails.

They have now indicated that it might be more prudent for them to seek support from someone more local, especially as they would feel more comfortable attending an in-person hearing (with a friend), which I agree with but isn’t really possible for me due to the distances involved.

I am happy to continue to support them from afar, and feel that there is a high chance of success once a Tribunal sees the available evidence; DWP’s two decisions so far are, frankly, outrageous given their conditions and needs. However, it might be more appropriate if we can find a local WR officer to rep them at an in-person hearing.

I’ve considered a paper only hearing but I want the Panel to physically see them if possible. Would a hybrid hearing be an option, whereby they attend with a friend for physical support and I video link in? It’s not something I’ve ever had to do but it seems like a good solution.

However, in the event that they wish to have local support for the next stage, when searching online I can’t seem to find any agencies in Exeter. Does anyone know of any in that locality?

They are private tenants so no Housing Association that might offer some help. The local Citizen’s Advice website sends me round in circles and Exeter Council don’t appear to have an offering of this nature.

Thank you,

Robin

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Have you tried using advicelocal - https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser - put in their postcode and will let you know what is in the area

Maybe the Community Law Clinic at Exeter University? - https://law.exeter.ac.uk/communitylawclinic/

[ Edited: 2 Oct 2023 at 03:33 pm by Daphne ]
forum member

Send message

Daphne - 02 October 2023 03:31 PM

Have you tried using advicelocal - https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser - put in their postcode and will let you know what is in the area

Maybe the Community Law Clinic at Exeter University? - https://law.exeter.ac.uk/communitylawclinic/

I hadn’t, no. Still limited in that area so the Law Clinic might be their best option.

Thank you. I will have a look into it and will let them know so they can decide. I’ve done their submission and the medical evidence is strong, but hopefully it will be something we can achieve without having to involve another person.

If anyone has experience of hybrid hearings, and whether or not it is a realistic option, that would also be useful.

[ Edited: 2 Oct 2023 at 03:58 pm by Tameside MBC Welfare Rights ]
HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2908

I’ve done a few hybrid hearings representing both appellants and local authorities: pre-pandemic I joined a hearing by telephone (in Exeter funnily enough) while everyone else was there in person; more recently I have had three or four where one party or witness attended by video link while others were in the room.  Each time the Judge has been careful to seek agreement of all the parties and note down the reasons why s/he thinks it is consistent with the overriding objectives to have people attending in different ways.

I don’t think it should be any problem in your case.

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

As HB Anorak says, I’ve done hybrid hearings where I’ve repped by video link and the appellant has attended in person. And HMCTS has always been very accommodating with that, to the extent of agreeing and making the arrangements at pretty short notice - i.e. two hearings listed for the same day, one in Enfield, the other in Sutton, I didn’t want either postponed but the only way I could do both was via video link.

If you’ve already done the work on the appeal and got a good handle on it (which sounds to be the case) I think that might be the best way forward.

BCD
forum member

Kirklees council

Send message

Total Posts: 50

Also to note that POs quite regularly join in-person hearings by videolink

forum member

Send message

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Much appreciated so I think we’ll go down the route of a hybrid hearing if they’re agreeable.