to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Records of Proceedings

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 616

It seems that audio recordings are now the default sine the pandemic.

This can be an improvement on the illegible handwritten records that some Judges/Tribunal Chairs provided in the past, although it will take you at least an hour to listen to the record if the hearing lasted that long

When all hearings were remote telephon hearing at the beginning of the pandemic the recording was provided as an MP3 file and a hearing lasting an hour would typically be around 7.5Mb.  You cwould have no problem storing that file in your case managment system

The default for a remote hearing is now CVP but the record is still an audio recording but it is in MP4 format and the files are arounf 63Mb for a one hour hearing .

Our case management system does not store files >20 Mb

I know that a video camera will produce an MP4 file but is there any reason why HMCTS cannot or will not make audio
recordings as MP3 files as they did at the beginning of the pandemic?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

You can straightforwardly convert MP4s into MP3s using various tools such as here: https://cloudconvert.com/mp4-to-mp3

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 616

I tried doing that but the converted MP3 file was not that much smaller than the original MP4

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

I think you might well have the same problem if you get HMCTS to save it as an MP3.  I suppose you could ask them to.

Another possibility is to use a free audio editor such as Audacity (https://www.audacityteam.org/) to split it into multiple parts.

Sorry I am being tech support rather than answering your question.