Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Creating Joint Claim - Email Issue

Cobi30
forum member

Welfare Rights and Money Advice Service, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 33

Hi,

Apologies if this has come up before, or been answered.

I have just been supporting a client where his partner has moved in, to link up their two previous UC claims to make a Joint UC claim.

I was going through all the “To-Do’s” but I can’t complete the Contact details one. Basically it asks for the each of their emails again - which I put in - and it sends them a code to verify this. However, then when I try and save this, it gives me an error which roughly states “This email is attached to another UC claim”!

Both members of the couples don’t have other emails, and I don’t really want to make them new ones, just to do this. Does anyone know a work around?

This seems fairly ridiculous, as the account that this email is attached to, is this Account!!

Thanks

BHCAC
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker- Bosnia and Herzegovinia Community Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 45

Hi

I have had this issue a few times and it there is no way to use the same email address for both people on a joint claim, so the options are to either create a new email account or their is ( or was recently) an option to put that one person in a claim does not have a email address.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

You might be able to use the old +1 trick. I think I suggested it in a different thread for a similar issue.

If their emails are gmails (or some other providers) you can append a number to the end of their normal email address. Services will recognise it as a different address, but emails still get sent to the “parent” email.

f.ex: sending emails to <tom.scott@gmail.com> and <tom.scott+5@gmail.com> both go to <tom.scott@gmail.com>

Same caveat as in the other thread I suggested it though: I haven’t actually tested this with DWP/UC.

Cobi30
forum member

Welfare Rights and Money Advice Service, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 33

Just to confirm the two members have different emails - it is just that as they both had their own UC claims that I was linking - it wouldn’t let me verify their emails on the joint UC claim. Saying they were already in use.

I was able to use the +1 method with one of the members of the couple - who had a hotmail.

Then a colleague of mine was able to advise that with “@gmail.com” accounts, that you can put this as “@googlemail.com” and it sends to the same inbox. So I did this with the other member of the couple.

I am going to try and raise this with UC though, as this is a real issue in terms of linking up two current UC claimants who are now becoming a couple. I could imagine this really confusing lots of my clients that I work with, seeing as it really confused me!