to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

another mixed age couple situation

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

I dont get that many mixed age situations so just want to make sure I havent missed anything.

3 people in the house. wife, husband and adult son. all 3 get a qualifying benefit for the SDP.

currently the wife is the claimant for is and HB. she claims carers allowance for looking after husband.
husband claims carers for looking after son.
son is on esa ir with no sdp due to his mum (wife) being paid carers.

wife is the older of the 2 and will turn state pension age next year.

currently their is applicable amount has one sdp.

my understanding is that as she is the one turning state pension age that both the is and hb will stop, have I at least got that bit right?

assuming yes, then the best option for the couple going forward would be, prior to wife turning state pension age, for her to claim carers allowance for the son instead of her husband and this would give 2 sdp’s and then the higher sdp amount in uc..I think they would also want to claim uc 2 weeks in advance of state pension age to get the run on?

I know there is the option now for husband not to claim carers and get an SDP for son but I am trying to purely work my head around the turning state pension age issues for a mixed age couple as thats enough fun by its self.

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 202

what is the income of the parents? If the younger partner is receiving ESA IR ( or JSA IB) then HB can continue (because its based on working age regs)
if there is no passporting benefit in place, then they will need to claim UC for help with the rent.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

Prisca - 31 August 2023 04:28 PM

what is the income of the parents? If the younger partner is receiving ESA IR ( or JSA IB) then HB can continue (because its based on working age regs)
if there is no passporting benefit in place, then they will need to claim UC for help with the rent.

both get paid carers allowance and are on income support.

its the older of the couple that is the is and hb claimant though. hence why I think we hit the hb stopping issue.

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 202

Hi
yes, as the older partner is the claimant, both IS and HB should stop when the pensionable birthday is reached.
They may get a few weeks extra Hb if they voluntarily made a claim for UC just prior to the birthday as I think they would get the 2 week run on