Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

MAC on ESA(IR) currently

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 125

Hello all
This seems so simple but my brain is not working and it must have been asked before but I can’t find it - client on Carer’s allowance currently, reaches SRP age in 2 weeks. Partner is claimant for ESA (IB top up) and gets PIP and claims HB/CTS.
They do not fit into any of the groups who do not have to claim UC or can claim PC per CPAG.
They have received a letter saying that from clients 66th birthday the ESA will reduce to £60 per week. I haven’t seen the letter yet but I thought they had no option but to claim UC as they are a mixed age couple with rent to pay?
I don’t see how staying on ESA IB is possible - can someone clarify it for me please?
Thanks in advance.

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 201

so, ESA is a joint claim with both of them on it asnd has couple rate allowances, , carer premium etc - and their income of carer’s allowance and ??? is less than thier applicable amount so they get an Income based to up,

your working age partner is the claimant for ESA - so in 2 weeks the older person will stop getting v=carers allowance and start getting SRP - thats a change in income which is a change in circs ,

if their new income is such that they are still below their app amount, then the passported benefit will continue in payment (albeit at a different amount) 
If ESA IR ends, (maybe due to a private/works pension statrting?) then at that point theyd need to claim UC

juliem
forum member

Send message

That is the situation yes. Thank you Prisca, I didn’t realise they could stay on ESA IB.. That is a much easier solution for them.
Granted, if they wanted to transfer to UC they would get slightly more money but a lot of form filling and hassle. I shall mention that when I see the letter (as I couldn’t make the amounts add up without sight of it). 
Thanks again

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2908

Assuming they already have HB, they wouldn’t get more money on UC, because the UC LCWRA element is less than the ESA pensioner premium.  Everything else is the same before/after.  Definitely better off sticking with ESA(ir) plus HB

juliem
forum member

Send message

HB Anorak - 04 August 2023 01:35 PM

Assuming they already have HB, they wouldn’t get more money on UC, because the UC LCWRA element is less than the ESA pensioner premium.  Everything else is the same before/after.  Definitely better off sticking with ESA(ir) plus HB

Thanks HB Anorak
I have just confirmed with the Pensioner-to-be that there are no known private/works pensions due, so they will remain on ESA IB. That is brilliant.