Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Mental health statistics: prevalence, services and funding in England and NHS Key Statistics: England, July 2023

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1015

Wasn’t sure where to post this because it has arguably relevance to so many areas for adults and young people. But handy for advancing vulnerable client’s rights social policy wise including vulnerable clients; appeals rebutting the Secretary of State’s approach that NHS services would be…......if client was that…..................etc etc

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06988/ and https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7281/

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Must admit I struggle and have always struggled with this specific set of statistics. Widely used and publicised and yet repeatedly subject to criticism as buried within them are significant amounts of very dodgy statistics indeed. Entire areas based on anecdote; self-reporting; GP classifications and more. Statistics in effect where there is considerable self-interest in reporting large numbers because it attracts funding for services and research. Of course it was ever thus but as a set this is data which is arguably unreliable and fraught with difficulties as there is no consistency at all and not too much in the way of accountability.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

I find prescription trends more interesting/reliable. Such as the prevalence of prescribing large amounts of opiates and benzos in some areas compared to others.

If I was a GP I’d consider it a bit of a personal defeat if I was prescribing much of these, and it goes in direct contradiction of NHS guidance. Don’t think there would be much incentive to inflate these numbers.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Not sure they’re any more reliable tbh.

Within the same practice I have seen a GP prescribing like smarties and a colleague GP refusing in all cases. I have seen a GP make MH referrals in all cases and another point blank refuse and manage with zero to low level meds. Same geographical area so what does that tell us beyond all data in this area should be the subject of massive scepticism.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Individual data points are rarely valuable in isolation. Look at the grander scale and trends do emerge.

Of course a lot of this is accounted for by people with long term health issues ending up in the same (social housing) areas, and then you get “better” doctors congregating in wealthier areas, more alternative/private treatment available, and so on. Been a few years since I looked at these things, but I remember finding the research interesting at least.

EDIT: For that matter, regarding your example Mike: The stringent doctor appears to follow NHS guidance, but are there more of the smarties GP’s in certain areas?

[ Edited: 4 Aug 2023 at 12:28 pm by Va1der ]