to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

LHA. 

davidsmithp1000
forum member

Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 195

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/local-housing-allowance-lha-rates-applicable-from-april-2023-to-march-2024

I’m looking specifically at,

The 30th percentile figures shown here are derived from twelve months lettings information collected up to the end of September 2022, but in accordance with The Rent Officers (Housing Benefit and Universal Credit Functions) (Modification) Order 2023 (SI 2023/6) are excluded from calculation of April 2023 rates

Are they no longer providing up to date 30th percentile rates?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1421

I believe the updated April rates each year were always based on the 12 months up to the previous September, no?

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 540

I think that’s right Charles. The Rent Officers (UC Functions) Order still requires the 30th centile to be determined in January every year, based on the information up to 30 September of the previous year.

The 2023 modification doesn’t affect the need to determine the 30th centile, it just says that the 2023 LHA is worked out by pretending it’s supposed to be worked out using the March 2020 rates (and ignoring the rates determined in January 2023, because otherwise that would obviously just encourage people to rent luxury accommodation and they should just accept that they are poorer now).