to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Decant and housing costs

VRW
forum member

Livin Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 61

So weve had this query whilst checking our Decant procedure and people on benefits

so i know that housing costs can continue for the property for the short period we have taken them out of the property

however the question arose around if a tenant on UC - full housing costs received

If we placed them in a hotel and then credit her rent account to cover her rent (not compensation), would that tenant have to declare to UC that at that time their housing costs are zero?

My gut is telling me yes they would and then when we stop crediting her account it would be then that she needs to inform UC of the change of rental amount to receive the payment of housing costs

Im really hoping ive explained that well enough for any advice

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

I think if it means that they don’t actually have housing costs then yes your interpretation is correct.  So your organisation funds the alternative accommodation and charges no rent for the period of the decant? 

As far as I’m aware our organisation continues to charge rent for the tenancy and then funds / provides alternative accommodation as a separate issue.  (We often decant tenants into flats that are kept for decant purposes although hotels are used for emergency decants sometimes.)

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 540

This sounds a bit over-complicated. I don’t understand why you would be crediting their rent account while they’re decanted - as you have said, the tenant is still able to claim UC housing costs for the original property during the decant.

If the credit to the rent account is not compensation, then what is it? I can’t help thinking they’re still liable to pay the rent - it’s just that you are choosing to pay it for them - in which case I think they’d still be entitled to UC HC because they still have a rent liability.

And if it’s a very short decant and fits within a single AP then there’s effectively no change of circumstances.