Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 202

Hi
Customer is getting UC housing Costs
asked for a DHP as under 35 restriction app;lied
Lease is for a workshop/chalet , states customer liable for business rates and states

” NOT to use or permit the premises to be used otherwise than as a workshop and studio provided always and that the tenant acknowledges and admoits that notwithstanding the foregoing provision as to the user of the premises the landlords does not thereby ior in any other way or make not has given or made at anyother time any representation or warrantly that any such use is or will be or will remain aa permoitted or authorised use”

I have no idea what that means….

Customer advises she is living in the studio workshop ( she also runs a soap making business from there ) as its London as she cant afford both a place to work from and live.
UC are paying housing costs for the address based on the same lease.

there is a shortfall in rent, but its not a residential rent and think customer prob breaking terms of her lease by living there.

If it were a HB case, I dont think itd be eligible so not sure I can pay a DHP on it – but as UC have accepted as a housing cost , does that give green light to a DHP?

any ideas please?

MARKG
forum member

Revenues & Benefits Manager, EK Services, Canterbury, Dover, Thanet (shared service)

Send message

Total Posts: 11

If she is liable for business rates, then it cant be residential, can it?  All that blurb on the lease seems to simply mean she can only use the workshop as such, and the landlord cannot guarantee that such use will be allowed in perpetuity. Well, that how I am reading it anyway.

The slightly confusing bit in your post is its a ‘workshop/chalet’ .  So, is it split into two separate areas?

Prisca
forum member

Send message

the lease just says workshop/chalet . The"spaces” have hot water and a loo, no idea if any other facilities .

UC have accepted its housing costs - a DHP says UCHE need to be in poayment and the customer require additinal assistance with housing costs.

If someone is subletting from a tenanct that cant sublet, they are still treatd as having a rnt liability
She has a rnt liability for a workshop, but is choosing to live their too )albeit probably in breach of her tenancy -

While my instinct says no, i cant find the regs that say this couldnt be treated a shousing costs ( which arent degfined apart from having to be for rent?)
It would be hard to [pay cos the address isnt listed as a residential address on our systems so cant link it but thats a technical issue rather than a reason to say no.

Flummoxed

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

I’m not sure I see any reason why HB or UC HCE would not be payable. To massively simplify, the questions are (1) do you live there as a home? and (2) are you liable to pay rent? On the facts which you are aware of, the answer to both questions is plainly “yes”. The fact that it may be that the property is not intended to be occupied as a home, seems to me to be besides the point. I also don’t see why it matters that she is in apparent breach of the user clause - that is surely between her and the landlord.

But even if that is wrong, so what? UC have decided that there is an eligibility to housing costs which is sufficient then to open the door to a DHP award. I don’t see that you are expected to go behind their decision making.

I think there are completely independent questions as to whether the arrangement might put either landlord or tenant in breach of planning law and business rates rules. In turn, there is a question of principle as to whether the Council wishes to use its DHP funds to support this arrangement in those circumstances.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2914

The argument against awarding HB or a UC housing element would rely on the old R v Warrington BC exp Williams case, which is on this site somewhere I think but I cannot be bothered linking to it as I’m on my phone. But it goes something like this:

- if you rent business premises and run a business out of those premises, you are incurring rent for that business use
- if you happen to live there as well, contrary to the terms of the lease, it isn’t costing you any more rent to do that. You are not making any additional payments in respect of a dwelling if you have to make the same payments in respect of a work space in any case

While there is a UC housing element in this case, the Council could still take the view that these are not “housing costs” for DHP purposes, relying on Williams.

Not saying what I think you should do, I think you have discretion either way.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2914

Williams attached

File Attachments

Prisca
forum member

Send message