Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Change from ESA to State Pension

Rachel1
forum member

North East Law Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne

Send message

Total Posts: 148

Hi there,

I have a client who is in the middle of making the change from ESA to state pension. She reached pension age on 09/01/23 - she will receive her first amount of state pension on 03/02/23.  She received one amount of ESA between that which was only 2 weeks worth. As ESA is paid in arrears, not in advance, this leaves her with a gap between her ESA and state pension. Her state pension is correctly getting paid one month after she reaches pension age so I tried to contact ESA and of course, I couldn’t get through. I advised client to call herself early in the morning which she is going to do and hopefully it will be resolved, but I was just wondering if not, other than writing a letter, or trying them again on the phone with the client is there anything else I can do. And I am right in thinking there is a gap?

Thank you for any help/advice in advance

VRW
forum member

Livin Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 61

I dont think theres a gap (happy to be corrected though)

State pension is also paid in arrears so that payment she will receive on 03/02 will be her entitlement from 09/01 up to getting her onto the right payment day (the letter would confirm the date that payment covers)

the payment of ESA will be her payment up to 09/01 so if that was paid (for arguments sake) on 13th jan that would be her last payment

also state pension is paid 4 weekly not monthly 😊

Rachel1
forum member

North East Law Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne

Send message

Total Posts: 148

VRW - 25 January 2023 09:15 AM

I dont think theres a gap (happy to be corrected though)

State pension is also paid in arrears so that payment she will receive on 03/02 will be her entitlement from 09/01 up to getting her onto the right payment day (the letter would confirm the date that payment covers)

the payment of ESA will be her payment up to 09/01 so if that was paid (for arguments sake) on 13th jan that would be her last payment

also state pension is paid 4 weekly not monthly :)

Brilliant thanks so much for this, it’s ages since I’ve done any work on state pension