to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Shared Lives rent costs

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Hi, has anyone dealt with a client living with a carer under the Shared Lives scheme? My client is in receipt of ir-ESA and PIP and is being charged a large amount of rent. I would like to see if this could be claimed via UC?

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 457

Yes seen lots of these over the years and these days would be fairly standard UC claims subject to LHA rates.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks Tom. Would she only get the shared accommodation rate?

[ Edited: 9 Dec 2022 at 10:01 am by CDV Adviser ]
HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2927

Self-contained 1B rate if aged 35+, or under 35 and an “excepted person”.  “Excepted person” includes someone on PIP daily living component.

Key point here is that UC looks at the person, not the accommodation.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Thank you for the replies.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 457

Probably should have mentioned in my first post but the most common problem I’ve seen with these is that when people are completing the UC claim form they tick the box to say they live in supported accommodation and get directed towards LA to claim HB whereas they just need to report as a private landlord.

Second most common problem is claimant misunderstanding the follow up questions as they’re really geared up for tenants and e.g. reporting that ‘someone else is on the tenancy agreement’ to flag it as an absent joint tenant case where a Shared Lives placement is likely to just be a single claimant living as a lodger with their live-in landlord.