Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

That annoying ADM page -cluttered with memos. Not like the DMG page. Grrr….

Poll: Have you also asked them to fix this page?
Total Votes: 17
No- I like to spend my days scrolling through the memos, it is good training for developing finger muscles
Yes- my scrolling finger is throbbing and needs a rest
Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 772

I am sure I am not the only one who is annoyed at the lack of love given to the Advice for Decision Making webpages on gov.uk.

I used the feedback button on the page to give some feedback:

What were you doing?
Trying to find the actual volumes of Advice for Decision Making.

What went wrong?
Before I can find the volumes, I need to scroll through all the ADM Memos. This creates an incredibly unwieldy page. I do not understand why this page, which welfare rights advisers and benefit claimants rely on, cannot be structured in the same way as the pages for the “Decision Makers Guide” (effectively the same sort of guidance that applies to older benefits)- that page, which is here https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/decision-makers-guide-staff-guide effectively manages the problem of the numerous memos cluttering the page by putting them under a separate page which is linked to from the main page. An alternative way to do it would be to have them under an expandable/collapsible tab.

As it stands this page fails to live up to point 4 of the digital service standard:

4. Make the service simple to use—https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/service-standard/point-4-make-the-service-simple-to-use

Thanks.

Hopefully they will fix it.

I suspect the chances of them doing so would certainly not diminish if other people unhappy with the page also gave some feedback - link is at bottom of ADM page. Top tip: Given the unwieldy length of page don’t hurt your scrolling finger getting to that and instead just <Ctrl>F “Is this page useful?”

I’ve added a poll

M

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 475

There’s not a “no but I’ve dreamt about grumbling about it on Rightsnet” option. I’d certainly choose that one.

Martin Williams
forum member

Send message

So 4 people asking them to change the page to a sensible design does not seem to be enough. Anyone else like to ask them to fix it?

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2929

Just now:

What were you doing? Looking for guidance on UC housing costs

What went wrong? I found it eventually, but this page has the oddest lay-out.  The main volumes of guidance are the ADM Chapters beginning at A1, almost halfway down the page.  I would recommend that the page begins with a table of contents at the top, listing the ADM Chapters by number and brief description of the content of each one, then the chapters themselves, and finally the memos - or even better give the memos their own page, with links from appropriate points in the main chapters.  There must be very few people visiting this page who want to see the complete list of ADM memos before they get to the ADM itself.

Martin Williams
forum member

Send message

Great - thanks everyone. So 12 people asking them to fix it so far. Anyone had a reply on whether this will be done? I have had no response at all.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 458

I have also submitted feedback as this frustrates me greatly. No response though.