to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Yes sir no more.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3154

As of today, FtT and UT judges should be addressed as “Judge” rather than “Sir” or “Madam”.

Per the guidance, it is still ‘Sir or Madam’ for the wing members, although I am sure it is acceptable to refer to the medical member by their relevant title.

Also applies to District Judges and others if you have cause to appear anywhere other than a benefit tribunal.

Circuit Judges of course remain Your Honour and High Court Judges and above remain “My Lord” or “My Lady”

https://www.judiciary.uk/message-from-the-lord-chief-justice-and-senior-president-of-tribunals-modes-of-address-in-courts-and-tribunals/

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

When I started repping I made a conscious decision not to ‘sir’ or ‘ma’am’ anyone but to call the legal member ‘judge’ and the medical member ‘doctor’, always been a bit trickier coming up with something to directly address the disability member. No-one has ever commented, if they have noticed.

I have had more than a few cringey moments with male clients calling female judges ‘love’ or referring to them as ‘the lady’.  The funniest thing I can remember was a client from South Yorkshire who addressed everyone, male and female, as ‘cock’. The look on the judge’s face was priceless. He had recently been transferred up from the South somewhere and had obviously never encountered that form of address.

At my first oral hearing of the Upper Tribunal, I was taken by surprise when the PO and everyone else in the room immediately rose to their feet when the robed judge appeared in the room from somewhere out the back. Reacting late I stumbled to my feet, kicked the table and spilled my glass of water all over the PO’s papers. Formalities can be tricky.

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 772

But for some reason Magistrates still get called “Your worship”: https://www.judiciary.uk/guidance-and-resources/what-do-i-call-a-judge/. I suppose it might be regarded as a perk of volunteering for the role if that is what floats your boat.

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 293

We should consider ourselves lucky we don’t practise in Brazil, where judges are addressed as “Your Excellency”

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3154

Paul Stockton - 02 December 2022 05:34 PM

We should consider ourselves lucky we don’t practise in Brazil, where judges are addressed as “Your Excellency”

Although adopting this practice would be a sure-fire way to increase your success rates at the FtT…

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

It has been probably more than a decade since I last heard anyone discuss the idea that the great benefit of tribunals was their informality. This is another step along a very sad road indeed.