to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Blue badge refusal - mental health grounds

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

My client was given a blue badge due to severe mental health problems. She has a fear of being attacked in the street. At the time she was not receiving DLA or PIP. She has since been awarded PIP (standard mobility and standard care) but the blue badge has been refused on renewal, on the grounds that she was only awarded PIP for mobility under descriptor d - cannot follow a journey without help.

Can anyone advise on the best approach for a review? Considerable evidence, GP letter etc., has already been provided to show her severe mental health problems, problems travelling etc.

Thank you

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Just a guess but did they actually carry out an assessment or did they refuse it on the automatic criteria without assessing the discretionary? I could imagine this happening if someone ticked the box for PIP mob 1E when applying for the BB but actually got 1D, for example.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

May I suggest that you look at the information available on your local authority’s website, which should tell you what additional information they consider acceptable.  As an example, this is the link to North Northamptonshire’s webpage:  https://www.northnorthants.gov.uk/blue-badges/appeal-blue-badge-decision    .  We have helped a client successfully appeal a BB refusal, but they first had to obtain a Consultant’s letter.

BenF
forum member

Health & social policy sector PR, Furner Communications

Send message

Total Posts: 15

I’d also try approaching her local councillor if you don’t have any luck.