Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Carers Allowance and rental income

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

Dear All,

In respect of the earnings threshold, for CA, is income from rent counted as earnings or not?

I ask as the guidance refers to £20 disregard etc for lodgers - but this issue involves a property the client rents out i.e. not the home he himself lives in - it would be well above the earnings limit but just not clear if this income counts towards those earnings?

Thank you in advance.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1424

See the DMG here starting from Para. 15743.

In practice (in my experience), DWP almost always try and include it as income, and it takes a fight to get them to agree that it is not a business.

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

Charles,

That is just the ticket, many thanks

Michael

EJ
forum member

Benefits advice line - Coventry City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 111

Had one of these a couple of years ago. Carer had purchased 2 properties as investment when she took early retirement and at a later date needed to claim CA. Was found to be self-employed.

Clt wrote in her appeal form that these properties should fall to be treated just as capital asset and added in caselaw R(FC)2/92.  She also wrote “Decision Maker in my case erroneously recorded that I’d said that I was a self-employed person.  This is not the case.  As I stated in my Reconsideration request, the intent behind the property purchase was only ever for investment, my interaction is minimal. There has never been any intention to trade or speculate.  I believe I am entitled to claim Carers Allowance as I am not in remunerative work”

Case was decided in her favour on the papers only

Elaine