to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Missing PIP appeal papers

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 473

I’ve just had a rather intriguing conversation with someone at PIP.

We’ve recently seen a sharp increase in the number of cases where HMCTS get their electronic copy of the bundle, but we don’t. Today I managed to get through to someone who sounded like they knew what was going on I asked why it might be.

Apparently they’ve contracted Xerox to do their printing and they send those files electronically. However my mole tells me it’s quite a cumbersome process to send the file to Xerox; it takes about 15 minutes (they should try claiming Legal Aid!!!) and it “might not get done”. He did try blaming the postie but I doubt that as I can’t recall a time when the client has got their copy but we haven’t gout ours.

Fortunately it now means it’s much easier to get a copy of the bundle than it used to be as they’re held in the team rather than the paper copy being sent to Fario. A revelation for me at least!

So I just thought I’d share that; about quarter of the calls that team takes are missing bundles so it looks like quite a widespread problem.

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 293

Is this just a PIP problem, or is it affecting UC too? I have an appeal where DWP have issued 2 bundles. HMCTS have their electronic copies. Client and I have received neither. So this is 2 bundles, sent on different days, to different addresses, via different Royal mail sorting offices. Not a Royal Mail issue, I’m thinking. But as it’s UC the helpline is of no use and the case manager doesn’t seem to understand what the issue is.

Exmocab
forum member

East Devon CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 18

I am currently missing 2 sets of appeal papers, supposed to be sent late July/early August.
Who and how do I contact to get copies for me and the client?
Rose

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 293

Exmocab - 11 September 2022 01:28 PM

I am currently missing 2 sets of appeal papers, supposed to be sent late July/early August.
Who and how do I contact to get copies for me and the client?
Rose

Others may have more effective methods but what I would do is first check with HMCTS that they have had their copy. If they haven’t, politely ask them to chase DWP. If they have received the bundle phone the relevant DWP helpline. If that proves to be useless go back to HMCTS and ask them for a judge’s direction that their copy is copied to you. If you’re OK to receive the bundle by email it’s really no problem or expense for HMCTS, although no doubt they want to maintain their right to insist that it’s DWP’s job, not theirs (as it is).

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

I’ve been waiting for papers for a PIP appeal due to be heard at the end of the month.  Spoke to the claimant yesterday - she has received both her bundle and mine!!  Not had that happen for a number of years.

bristol_1
forum member

WRAMAS Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 247

Hi Mairi

I had that situation this month - I re-checked the online SSCS1 I’d completed in case I’d put the client’s address as mine, but no, I had put our office address, they just sent both copies of the bundle to the client.

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 772

I just wish they would routinely issue the thing electronically. No doubt reason for not is claimant / rep emails are insecure….. But given HMCTS can email RoP I can’t see that argument being sustainable (and anyway if a claimant understands the security of their email service provider why can’t they elect to receive docs that way).

This is a more general issue with HMCTS as well- whilst DWP gets all correspondence electronically (and therefore on same day as issued), claimants and their representatives have to wait on the post: that creates a procedural unfairness given a lot of those documents when sent by HMCTS start a time limit running.

M