to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Long Covid, WCA and PIP

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

Has anyone had any experience yet of Long Covid conditions in relation to either the WCA or PIP?  I’ve had to complete a WCA form in relation to Long Covid, and it can be quite difficult as there are a cluster of symptoms which can vary.  (Of course this is also true of conditions such as ME or Fibromyalgia).  And I haven’t seen any consultants reports on this yet.  I have also advised my client to consider PIP but no idea how that will be approached. It would be interesting to know of any experiences on this.
Ruth

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

I don’t have any experience of doing a claim myself but DWP have acknowledged that long Covid can be listed as the primary disability - https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/dwp-confirms-that-it-has-added-covid-19-to-list-of-primary-disabilities-that-are-recorded-following-PIP-assessment-decision. I guess it’s the usual advice of focusing on the functional limitations…

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Had one PIP to do for a family member. It’s a useful exercise as you’re reminded that the diagnosis is irrelevant. All that matters is that there are symptoms accepted as real and that they produce points. Very easy to over think these things because they’re new. They’re not really. Fairly straight forward award of double top on an ongoing basis.