Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Child over 20, SDP still in payment - claim UC? 

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Stuck this in here as I can’t see a better route than to claim UC.

Been a while since I’ve advised someone they’re going to lose their SDP, so just want to check that there aren’t any solutions to improve their situation etc? 

Client lives with a child who recently turned 20 (they may also have ceased to be a QYP at an earlier date, but lets deal with the best worst case scenario first). They haven’t notified DWP child turned 20, but I think DWP ought to have realised this themselves. So, still an OP of the SDP, but arguably not a failure to report a CiC, and no recovery etc.

If they had come to us a few months ago I would have advised claim UC for the TPE before ND turned 20. At present I can’t see any other SDP route than if the ND moved out.

The apparent solution is to claim UC to get the higher LCWRA at least. Worst possible time to get a £45/week reduction in benefits. Possibly a DHP to cover the loss short term.

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 202

I think ithe change that needed reporting wasnt the dep turning 20, but the dep stopping full time further education
If that hasnt happened, then I agree the DWP should be able to figure out when a QYP turns 20 and amend claim accordingly, so if they havent, then its thier error as no need to report a significant age change.

But if the now 20 year old stopped FT further education before turning 20, then ***that*** is the change in circs that needed to be reported and will make the o/p recoverable.

Greg
forum member

Money Matters Money Advice Centre, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 45

Does the client definitely stand to gain from UC? I presume so as the change in circs doesn’t in itself trigger UC migration.

Sounds like there’s nothing to be done SDP-wise so you need to advise on the basis of there being none. This is assuming the 20 year old isn’t potentially entitled to PIP/ADP DL component.