to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

DWP pushing back on recon applications

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 473

So I went away on holiday recently, had a lovely time but came back to DWP being nefarious again; more so than usual!

I wonder whether anyone else has experienced this: it’s happened half a dozen times since I got back.

Ring UC to request a recon, instead of the call handler raising the recon there and then, they escalate it to a case manager who calls the claimant back tomorrow, fobs the claimant off with an explanation and doesn’t raise the recon request.

Certain colleagues of mine think it’s to do with the cost of living package; I went hunting for the directions myself, half expecting a person would need to be “in receipt” of a qualifying benefit during the relevant period, this nixing any retrospective entitlement. Have the directions been published yet btw? I’ve been keeping an eye out but haven’t spotted anything.

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 233

Yes I have seen it a fair amount. My solution has been to dictate a message for the call handler to type stating what I want e.g. ‘Wish to request a reconsideration because we believe I have a right to reside through my mum… etc’. I have found that generally this info is taken directly by the case manager, sometimes meaning the client isn’t called because they just take the MR (also not great but at least they’re not being blocked).

But yes, definitely happening and relies on a good case manager picking the issue up as they should.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Rebecca Lough - 11 July 2022 01:39 PM

relies on a good case manager picking the issue up as they should.

Does such a thing exist?

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Dan Manville - 14 July 2022 03:05 PM
Rebecca Lough - 11 July 2022 01:39 PM

relies on a good case manager picking the issue up as they should.

Does such a thing exist?

We’ve had a few where a work coach at one of the local jobcentres has pushed a request through for us.