to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

No decision Letters?

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 318

I have had a few clients in the last couple of days advising me that they have received a telephone call from the DWP providing a decision on their benefit entitlement.  When the client asks for a decision letter, they are being informed by the DWP that they no longer send out decision letters, but can provide one if required.

I know that decision makers were going to call clients, but I though decision letters would continue to be sent?? Anyone heard of this?

Many thanks.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

The requirement is set out in reg 28 of the D&A Regs and it must be in writing.

Notice of decision against which appeal lies

28.—(1) A person with a right of appeal under the Act or these Regulations against any decision of the Secretary of State (or the Board or an officer of the Board) shall–

(a) be given written notice of the decision against which the appeal lies;

(b) be informed that, in a case where that written notice does not include a statement of the reasons for that decision, he may, within one month of the date of notification of that decision, request that the Secretary of State (or the Board or an officer of the Board) provide him with a written statement of the reasons for that decision; and

(c) be given written notice of his right of appeal against that decision.

(2) Where a written statement of the reasons for the decision is not included in the written notice of the decision and is requested under paragraph (1)(b), the Secretary of State )or the Board or an officer of the Board) shall provide that statement within 14 days of receipt of the request or as soon as practicable afterwards.

Haven’t heard it happening here yet.  And I emphasize the yet.

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 318

nevip - 20 October 2011 03:39 PM

The requirement is set out in reg 28 of the D&A Regs and it must be in writing.

Notice of decision against which appeal lies

28.—(1) A person with a right of appeal under the Act or these Regulations against any decision of the Secretary of State (or the Board or an officer of the Board) shall–

(a) be given written notice of the decision against which the appeal lies;

(b) be informed that, in a case where that written notice does not include a statement of the reasons for that decision, he may, within one month of the date of notification of that decision, request that the Secretary of State (or the Board or an officer of the Board) provide him with a written statement of the reasons for that decision; and

(c) be given written notice of his right of appeal against that decision.

(2) Where a written statement of the reasons for the decision is not included in the written notice of the decision and is requested under paragraph (1)(b), the Secretary of State )or the Board or an officer of the Board) shall provide that statement within 14 days of receipt of the request or as soon as practicable afterwards.

Haven’t heard it happening here yet.  And I emphasize the yet.

Thank you… knew that this could not be true, but then thought I may have missed something!! They will try and get away with all sorts…Social Policy me thinks. 

Thanks once again