Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Is it OK to use a computerised ESA50?

iut044
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser, West Lancs Disability Helpline, Skelmersdale

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Hi

The ESA department sent a blank ESA50 to my client but it got lost in the post.  I telephoned the ESA department who said that they would send another ESA50 out.  I suggested that I used the computerised ESA50 form the direct gov website but the woman I spoke to said that I could not use this.  Does anybody know if I am OK to use the computerised ESA50?  The link to it is http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@money/documents/digitalasset/dg_195544.pdf

Thanks

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

I don’t see why not.  The ESA50 is really nothing more than a request for information sent out under reg 36.  There is no requirement in the reg that specifies the form that the information should take.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

An ESA 50 is an ESA50 I would have thought.

Whatever the source its an ESA50.

The Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008

Information required for determining capability for work

21.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), the information or evidence required to determine whether a claimant has limited capability for work is— (b) any information relating to a claimant’s capability to perform the activities referred to in Schedule 2 as may be requested in the form of a questionnaire;

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

The woman at the DWP said you could not use the computerised form so that should be that.
Jobcentre plus employees are fully trained,professional, knowledgeable and highly motivated employees who know exactly what they are talking about at all times about everything.
I dont even know why you asked the question or even questioned the integrity of the professionalism of the DWP staff.
Some people eh?

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

if you can’t use it what is it doing there, eh?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Precisament!  As Hercule Poirot would say.

John Birks
forum member

Send message

benefitsadviser - 12 October 2011 01:21 PM

The woman at the DWP said you could not use the computerised form so that should be that.
Jobcentre plus employees are fully trained,professional, knowledgeable and highly motivated employees who know exactly what they are talking about at all times about everything.
I dont even know why you asked the question or even questioned the integrity of the professionalism of the DWP staff.
Some people eh?

To be fair I should imagine working at the DWP you go with the culture within the particular team or office.

One would work to the expectations of their peers.

If one worked to their own ideas and thought processes no matter how ‘out there’ or unexpected you’d have to work for another organisation and not a bureaucracy.

So if you ask a stupid question…..?

John Birks
forum member

Send message

Tony Bowman - 13 October 2011 09:02 AM
John Birks - 12 October 2011 03:54 PM
benefitsadviser - 12 October 2011 01:21 PM

Some people eh?

To be fair I should imagine working at the DWP you go with the culture within the particular team or office.

One would work to the expectations of their peers.

If one worked to their own ideas and thought processes no matter how ‘out there’ or unexpected you’d have to work for another organisation and not a bureaucracy.

So if you ask a stupid question…..?

In other words, incomptence breeds incompetence…

Or excellence breeds excellence?

“Remember how in that communion only, beholding beauty with the eye of the mind, he will be enabled to bring forth, not images of beauty, but realities (for he has hold not of an image but of a reality), and bringing forth and nourishing true virtue to become the friend of God and be immortal, if mortal man may.”

John Birks
forum member

Send message

Yes and its gorgeous.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Methinks John has attended the same sarcasm and irony course that i did. Judging by his posts he probably got higher marks than me though!