to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

What is ‘protected status’

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

Client trying to find out what level of DLA he is getting, but informed by Blackpool he has ‘Protected Status’ and cannot be told. Anyone know what this means…is it linked to bankruptcy proceedings?

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

No appointee apparently (but a possibility of one). Yes, agree they are reluctant to divulge over phone to client, but seems to be a problem even sending letters as client has ‘protected status’. DLA are supposed to be calling back in 5 days! There may be ‘other issues’ but never come across the term before. Have checked an old copy of DLA internal process guide, but still no mention. Could be someone is making up the term when what they actually mean is appointee status.  Anything’s possible these days!

Robert Haigh
forum member

Assessment Team, Lewes District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 24

could be another way of saying “sensitive case” i.e. customer could be; famous person, in witness protection, ex-con who was released with a new identity, had a sex change etc…

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I was wondering that. Came across something similar with an HB issue once. Client turned out to be subject to a witness protection scheme (new identity, etc) so staff at the LA had no access to the client’s records (only a few of the senior managers did). Made sorting things out for the client a bit long-winded.

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Mind you, if your client was a famous person, you might (or indeed might not) have worked that out already.

SharonBoyd
forum member

Business Improvement Lead, Glasgow Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Sometimes protected status is because they have a family member working in the DWP somewhere.  My brother worked in the DWP for a while and my dad’s claim was protected so that only certain high level members of staff could access it.

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

Ah ha! Think Robert might have cracked the case. The claimant is indeed in transition from male to female…

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

Many many years ago we had a client whose NINO had been changed. The volunteer doing the form was an ex-police inspector and knew who the client used to be. Apparently in those days only police officers over inspector rank were told about ‘supergrasses’ who were residing in their patch. 

I’m reminded that the same volunteer (doing his first DLA form after training) encountered someone who was using illicit drugs to counteract their pain. It was a bit of a stuggle in his mind to remember he had retired!

CMILKCAB
forum member

Benefits advisor, NHS Project - Castlemilk CAB, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 92

Once had a problem with an elderly mans AA application form and his NINo. DWP called me several times to check I had the correct NINo. I had. It turned out that he was formally with a religious order and had changed his name to that of an obscure saint.

Is someone with “protected status” not a top banker ;)