to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

HMCTS DATA Breach

DM128
forum member

The Royal British Legion

Send message

Total Posts: 29

Last week my client received a letter to say from HMCTS to say “Sorry” but they had shared his medical information with 5 others. They said they had sent the 5 people a SAE and deemed it “Sorted” HMCTS stated this was a rare incident and is not common .
Two days later I received personal information relating to someone I do not know with regard to their PIP Appeal. This was followed by 2 emails sent to me by HMCTS about two others peoples appeals.

Now I know we are all working from home and there are bound to be some issues but how many times is this happening?

Anyone had the same kind of problems?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Not had this problem.

Have you raised this with HMCTS? Sounds like one of their systems have gone haywire. Hopefully only related to your local tribunal’s centre.

What is a SAE?
If HMCTS are just sending out a few notices, and deeming the issue sorted - where there seems to be a potentially larger data breach, the ICO should be notified IMHO (though HMCTS should already have done so).

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Happens periodically. We find our client details popping up in Stockport and vice verse a couple of times per year. During lock down the bigger issue has been getting stuff in the first place rather than the wrong destination.

DM128
forum member

The Royal British Legion

Send message

Va1der - 01 December 2020 11:52 AM

Not had this problem.

Have you raised this with HMCTS? Sounds like one of their systems have gone haywire. Hopefully only related to your local tribunal’s centre.

What is a SAE?
If HMCTS are just sending out a few notices, and deeming the issue sorted - where there seems to be a potentially larger data breach, the ICO should be notified IMHO (though HMCTS should already have done so).

Hi. A SAE is a Stamped Addressed Envelope for the 5 people to return the information that they had been posted. The info were not copies of just any information but personal medical information with a lot of detail.

I have raised it with HMCTS who stated that they don’t the people who will received the info will do anything with it (True). I said it does not matter about your status in society its the fact that you shared private medical info with them. Now complaint has gone in. They sent no details of how to complain and said that they did not have to report themselves because they had resolved it by sending out SAE’s (but not had them returned).

DM128
forum member

The Royal British Legion

Send message

Mike Hughes - 01 December 2020 11:58 AM

Happens periodically. We find our client details popping up in Stockport and vice verse a couple of times per year. During lock down the bigger issue has been getting stuff in the first place rather than the wrong destination.

Yes I have had issues with Tribunals going ahead and not been notified.
Also having to be adjourned because we don’t all have the same paperwork. However this is about being sent other peoples personal and medical information. People I do not know from all over the Country.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

As I say, it happens. I have tended towards simply

- asking HMCTS whether they intend to report themselves to the ICO or they would prefer I would do it, and,
- asking what procedural changes were in place to ensure it didn’t happen again (usually a version of “we told them off”).

Usually focuses HMCTS away from glib answers such as you’ve had.