to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

TRIBUNALS ON SATURDAYS

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

I was at the Liverpool Tribunal Venue yesterday and a clerk told me they were going to hold oral hearings on Staurdays from 17th September.

We have had no notification of this or any consultation with the Tribunal Service.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

No, but I’m presuming they will only schedule unrepped clients because if they think I’m going to turn out on a Saturday then they better think again.

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

I have heard that it is for un repped clients but I have not heard anything official form them

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Hi,

They’ve also been doing Saturday hearings in Surrey, in my experience the tribunal service have offered the Saturday hearing but have been quite happy to change it to a weekday if people ask.

Jane

David Holcombe
forum member

Chest, Heart and Stroke Welfare Rights Adviser, Citizens Advice and Rights Fife,

Send message

Total Posts: 26

It appears that Dundee is running Saturday hearings too.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

This possibility was mentioned at a TUG meeting last week.

It is not at all clear what type of hearings may be involved, but we were told that for it would only happen at venues where adequate security was available.  There are also issues regarding attendance of presenting officers from DWP and Local Authorities.

Kev@derbys
forum member

Senior WRO, Derbyshire Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Hi everyone

Saturday Appeal hearing are being offered to appellants that do not have a representative. I was made aware of the offer after a client (with rep) received his Enquiry form and a letter offering the Saturday hearings. After making enquiries I was told that it has come about after a successful pilot scheme in London where the take up has been allegedly good and response from consultation of those using the facility has been positive. They don’t have to accept a Saturday and can simply say ‘no’ and we are advising clients that we are no able to represent on Saturdays   The HM Courts & Tribunal Service are of the opinion that due to the delays that we are faced with because of the substantial increase in the workload, it seems as though working on Saturdays is one way to reduce the backlog.  Birmingham ASC office are also running two shifts with a twilight shift doing specific areas of the processing work. However I am still firmly of the opinion that there would be a lesser backlog if decision makers made appropriate decisions especially in cases of IB migration and ESA cases