to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC carer element supersession. 

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 184

I know this has been discussed before but I could do with some feedback.
My understanding of the D&A Regs Sched. 1 Para 31 is that the carer element should be applied in the assessment period in which PIP is awarded even if carers allowance isn’t claimed.
Am I missing something?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1419

Yes, I agree with you. In fact, I think even in a case where CA was claimed, you’d have to rely on the PIP. The CA itself probably isn’t a “change of circumstance” for UC, as the carer element for UC doesn’t depend on entitlement to CA at all.

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Thanks Charles.
UC always seem to simply add the carer element from the time PIP award notified (when the decision is made) rather than when PIP award starts. I think they are wrong about this. In the latest case I have they are saying can’t be backdated as claimant didn’t declare herself as a carer prior to the PIP decision.
Any thoughts on this gratefully received.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1966

I agree and I am still awaiting the outcome of a case i raised with DWP months ago.

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Andrew Dutton - 03 June 2020 11:16 AM

I agree and I am still awaiting the outcome of a case i raised with DWP months ago.

Still early days then!

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

HarlowAC - 03 June 2020 10:43 AM

Thanks Charles.
UC always seem to simply add the carer element from the time PIP award notified (when the decision is made) rather than when PIP award starts. I think they are wrong about this. In the latest case I have they are saying can’t be backdated as claimant didn’t declare herself as a carer prior to the PIP decision.
Any thoughts on this gratefully received.

In practice this is what they do. Whether it is right is another matter and update from Andrew in due course will be interesting.

The practical advice is for anyone who is caring to advise UC that they are doing so - apart from anything else the work coach may adjust work search requirement s to allow for this. If this is on record then carer element should be backdated to date PIP award starts from without difficulty.