to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

uc reclaim

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 873

hopefully someone will have had this situation and can point me in the right direction.

client makes couple claim to uc. wage in first assessment period is higher than normal due to an underpayment from the previous month being carried over. this takes them out of entitlement so amount due is nil.

going forward, however, they will have entitlement but have never actually been paid uc, the only claim made is the one that has been set to nil.

my question is, what is likely to happen with the reclaim. i know that if you reclaim within six months of having entitlement that you keep the same AP and the reclaim process is meant to be easier. but what happens for those who made a claim but didnt have entitlement?  is it just a brand new claim? also, what happens with the AP?  they didnt find out the claim had been set to nil until a few days post the AP ending, so there really wasnt any way they would have known to reclaim so a gap is inevitable if they arent linked.

interested if anyone has had practical examples of this to know whats happened and also if i havent followed the reclaim process correctly in what ive detailed above.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

stevenmcavoy - 30 April 2020 05:24 PM

... also, what happens with the AP?  they didnt find out the claim had been set to nil until a few days post the AP ending, so there really wasnt any way they would have known to reclaim so a gap is inevitable if they arent linked.

If the claim is closed, provided the rapid reclaim is done with the period of the next AP the claim is continuous because the claim activates the AP. in which the rapid reclaim is made.

At the moment i have been told that claims are not being closed immediately after a nil entitlement because there is recognition that people are in volatile situations. Whether this is the case across the whole system or just at some JobCentres i have no idea.

[ Edited: 30 Apr 2020 at 06:06 pm by Ianb ]