to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

NINO and advance payments

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 320

Ive had a couple of cases recently of refugees who have put in their claim for UC, had HRT test, and then applied for NINO. The problem is whilst waiting for NINO they have not been able to get an advance of UC. Then by the time they can apply for an advance, they have passed the end of the first AP and are denied. This has left people with arrears of service charges etc. and other debt.

I raised this matter with DWP as my understanding is that the basic eligibility criteria does not demand a NINO. Though there is a NINO requirement, this seems to say,  has a NINO, or has made an application for one - so my argument is that once the referral has been made by DWP, they should be able to have an advance.

The response that I got was thus:

An advance can’t be made until a NINO is recorded The requirement to record a NINO is because of the interface between UC and CIS; the ‘Check CIS to-do’ is a payment blocker therefore no payment of UC can be made until it is completed hence why customer’s where this action is outstanding are unable to request an advance payment.

“an advance is unable to be made in these circumstance because the service does not have the functionality to make any form of payment when there is no NINO recorded. Having a NINO is a condition of entitlement. This issue is being looked at but at present an advance can’t be paid.”

just wondered if anyone had any further information, or had been successful in getting an advance? surely there must be a manual process for this that can over ride the system? these claimants are extremely vulnerable, usually homeless (having left NASS accom. and financial support has also ended)
thank you

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Last I read on the topic was Touchbase 137: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/touchbase-dwp-news-about-work-working-age-benefits-and-services/september-2019-touchbase-edition-137

Unfortunately that doesn’t clarify anything about the impact of delays in getting the NINO. I imagine CPAG would be interested in these cases.

Not that it is a solution I would generally recommend, but your clients could apply for Budgeting advances instead, as a route to cash after the first AP has ended.

EDIT: typos

dizzymare
forum member

Send message

yes - good point, will raise on the EWS. thank you for the reminder. Sadly budgeting advance is not possible as you need to have been receiving UC for 6 months or more (bit like the 26 weeks rule for budgeting loans I guess)

Jess Strode
forum member

Judicial Review Project | Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 58

Va1der - 06 February 2020 11:08 AM

I imagine CPAG would be interested in these cases.

CPAG are interested in these cases! And particularly as it affects access to advance payments. I regret I have only just seen this thread.

Please get in touch if you have clients refused UC as they are waiting for a NINO. We have template letters for both refugees and non-refugees on this point (here: https://cpag.org.uk/welfare-rights/judicial-review/judicial-review-pre-action-letters/refugees-inc-hrt-issues).

During COVID-19 we would ask that you get in touch with CPAG before using them however. Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

dizzymare
forum member

Send message

HI Jess
the case in question was resolved, but I haven’t had any others since (though I have asked our homeless prevention team who are most likely to see these cases to let me know if they have any more).

I am currently arguing this issue is a general sense via DWP and have used all info from your templates etc but so far still not agreeing with me (it has taken a bit of a back seat with CV19 stuff but I do intend to keep pushing) but as soon as I get an actual case, I will go through JR process as above.

thank you for your comments.