to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Preparing for the tsunami

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 470

Well we’ve got a potential onslaught to come. 1.4m UC decisions in the next few weeks. Mr Couling seems to think it’ll happen as well.

What are services doing to prepare?

Wensleyfoss
forum member

Disability Advice & Welfare Network

Send message

Total Posts: 61

This is frightening, especially with no extra resources or funding!  We work with autistic individuals, who may need a range of adjustments because of their difficulties in communication and literal interpretation of questions,. I am advising clients to upload the Autism Passport onto their journal. Hopefully the work Coach has read it before making the call.  https://www.autism-anglia.org.uk/autism-passport

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3216

Signposting them to Citizens Advice basically.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 17 April 2020 09:45 AM

Signposting them to Citizens Advice basically.

Indeed. You want a big landscape changing sum of money? Time to deliver.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 470

That landscape changing amount of money was to help people claim, not support them afterward… wasn’t it? I know Rishi told them they would get emergency funding last week but how quickly can they deploy it?

I sorely doubt Cit A will cope with about 50k decisions in Manchester alone in the next few weeks. Pro rata the 1.4m claims made to the population of Greater Manchester I come up with 94k; about half of those in Manchester alone.

It’s almost on the scale of the PIP migration; did I mention I got a DLA to PIP conversion appeal through the door last week?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Yes it was. I think the reality is that this is where the paucity of the “Help To Claim” scheme is exposed and, equally, the impossibility of supporting that scale of claiming will also come to the fore.