to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Council Tax and visitors

NatWellsRussell
forum member

Constituency Caseworker for Alex Sobel MP

Send message

Total Posts: 3

Hi Can anyone help - I work for a local MP and have an 84 year old in isolation whose son has come from a different city to help her.  She has told the council and they have increased her CT straight away.
I am working remotely and have left all my benefit resources in the office - can anyone point me to the legislation online as I recall there is a certain time you can have ‘guests’
If not will look at asking council to act with discretion as this must be happening all over?
The son pays his own rent and CT in his own city also.

Thanks!

WROTricia
forum member

Advice Works, Renfrewshire

Send message

Total Posts: 103

Have they removed the 25% discount or applied a non-dep charge (or both)?

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

I think all ct schemes in England are local ones so you should be able to find the details for your on the council website I would think.

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 292

You need to tell the Council that the mother’s house is not the son’s main or sole residence. If it’s not his main residence he is not liable for CT so the 25% discount still applies. The authority is s.6 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. Alternatively, if he is looking after his mother for more than 35 hours per week and she gets Attendance Allowance he is disregarded as a carer under Schedule 1 of the Act. But the “not his main residence” is the stronger argument probably.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3216

Absolute t*ssers. We’ve just got off phone with Pension Service colleague who said they’ve been instructed by Ministers to do all they can to be flexible with the rules of entitlement because of these exceptional times and the difficulties these situations are causing people and then you read this. There are no words sometimes for the petty jobsworths out there and that;s off the back of me just posting about what a great job DWP staff are doing more generally.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3216

stevenmcavoy - 02 April 2020 10:57 AM

I think all ct schemes in England are local ones so you should be able to find the details for your on the council website I would think.

No, pensioner’s CT is under the default scheme which applies all over England.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 02 April 2020 11:16 AM
stevenmcavoy - 02 April 2020 10:57 AM

No, pensioner’s CT is under the default scheme which applies all over England.

cheers.

that’s raised a few questions in my head around how that works in practice but today im going to try and focus on sticking to the point and doing things that are relevant so I wont ask them.