Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Switching to non-digital on reclaim- possible?

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 332

I know that it is impossible (God only knows why not) to switch live digital claim to a phone claim. But what about a scenario where claimant had a digital claim, which was closed in January 2020 and now wants to reclaim but would prefer non-digital claim due to language and health difficulties?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

This is possible now.

There’s been a few threads on this already, for instance: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14657/

If I recall it is actually DWP guidance to move phone claims to digital, but I can’t remember where I read that.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Send message

That is helpful- thanks.
Been to a partnership meeting about a fortnight ago and we were firmly told no way can claim be switched from digital to telephone.
Sigh…

This DWP guidance- if anyone’s got it, I’d be grateful.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

Hi - I think this what’s needed.

We are still getting varied responses - flat refusal and claims that it is impossible followed by sudden agreement that it is possible.

File Attachments

Jo_Smith
forum member

Send message

Thanks Andrew, I have this guidance but I thought there is a separate guidance about switching the channels; digital to non and vice versa. Does it exists?

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

Or was it this:

file:///C:/Users/71012868/Downloads/Making_and_maintaining_a_phone_claim_DWP_August_2019%20(2).pdf

Claimants who are no longer able to maintain their claim online
There may be reasons why claimants with a digital claim are no longer able to manage their claim online. This could be short term, such as a brief admittance to hospital; or longer term, such as a new health condition. Where a claimant has an online claim but now needs support similar to a claimant with a phone claim, the following actions should be taken: • a profile note explaining the claimant’s circumstances should be added to the claimant history and ‘pinned’ to the claimant’s dashboard so agents are aware of their needs and any additional support required • communication with the claimant will need to be through alternative methods, such as phone or post, rather than the journal • any requirements placed on the claimant should consider their new circumstances These arrangements should be regularly reviewed with the claimant by both work coaches and case managers to ensure they remain appropriate. Please visit the Complex Needs pages in Universal Learning for more information on how we can support non-digital claimants.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

Andrew Dutton - 12 March 2020 04:28 PM

Or was it this:

file:///C:/Users/71012868/Downloads/Making_and_maintaining_a_phone_claim_DWP_August_2019%20(2).pdf

Claimants who are no longer able to maintain their claim online
There may be reasons why claimants with a digital claim are no longer able to manage their claim online. This could be short term, such as a brief admittance to hospital; or longer term, such as a new health condition. Where a claimant has an online claim but now needs support similar to a claimant with a phone claim, the following actions should be taken: • a profile note explaining the claimant’s circumstances should be added to the claimant history and ‘pinned’ to the claimant’s dashboard so agents are aware of their needs and any additional support required • communication with the claimant will need to be through alternative methods, such as phone or post, rather than the journal • any requirements placed on the claimant should consider their new circumstances These arrangements should be regularly reviewed with the claimant by both work coaches and case managers to ensure they remain appropriate. Please visit the Complex Needs pages in Universal Learning for more information on how we can support non-digital claimants.

File Attachments

Jo_Smith
forum member

Send message

That’s the one :)

Thanks!

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

CAAdviser
forum member

Central and South Sussex Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 57

I’ve just done this.  I completed the reclaim online and then called the UC helpline to ask them to treat the claim as a phone claim.