to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

question about council tax liability in a household

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

Client lives with adult daughter. Client gets CT support but pays a bit towards their bill. Client applying for SMI exemption. If this is awarded would her daughter then become liable for the full CT bill (minus 25% single person discount) as she is then the only resident who is counted for CT purposes?

If so this would make them worse off than the current situation of CT support paying a small amount of the bill.

Thanks

Emma B-G
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Hertfordshire County Council Money Advice Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 53

Is the client the sole tenant/home owner? If so, she would remain liable for council tax even when an SMI exemption is in place. See previous discussion at https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/10821/#50006

If that is the case, the client can continue claiming council tax reduction, to cover any remaining council tax liability after the SMI exemption is in place.

The other thing to consider is a carer discount on council tax, if the daughter is a full time carer (see pg 198 Disability Rights Handbook).

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

Thanks Emma. That link is useful. She is the sole tenant I believe yes.

I checked that but the daughter is not a carer, however I am trying to get her daughter an SMI exemption as she has severe MH problems herself. However I thought I would check the above as obviously there is no guarantee the SMI is applied for the daughter.

Also this would be useful for me to know for future cases obviously

[ Edited: 18 Oct 2019 at 03:40 pm by JAS1 ]