to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Universal Credit helpline - 5 rings rule

RGibson
forum member

Oasis Debt Advice, Oasis Hub Waterloo

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Hi all, I met with a DWP partnership manager yesterday who told me that if a claimant calls the UC helpline from their phone, connected to the claim, they will pick up within 5 rings. Apparently this has been the case since October 2018. Does anyone know if this is true/what actually happens?

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

I haven’t had cause to phone it yet: does the helpline have rings (as opposed to music)?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

It’s not 5 rings but it is allegedly quick cos Neil Couling told us so at a GMWRAG meeting in Trafford last October. As to the veracity of that.

zoeycorker
forum member

Welfare Rights Unit - Leeds City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 88

I have to admit it is pretty quick once the system recognises the number that is ringing in - I believe the system is set up so that a claimants phone number is registered to a specific person at the service centre / jobcentre so that when the claimant rings in the systems recognises the number and directs it straight to that person - so if for example I ring in on behalf of the client on my phone, I get asked to enter the number registered to the claim and as soon as I put that in - it gets me through to the right person fairly quickly

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

Yes if you ring from the number registered on the account it takes you direct through to the case manager or at least their team. If you’re ringing from a different phone you can get through to the cse manager with the following info -

- telephone number the claimant has registered with Universal Credit
- their post code
- 1st line of their address
- their date of birth

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-local-authority-bulletins-2018/universal-credit-local-authority-bulletin-uc32018#integrated-telephony