Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Income Support with pensioner premium- Capital?

MoneyAdviceWHA
forum member

Welfare, Stephensons Solicitors, Leigh

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Hi

I’ve looked all over but can’t find a definitive answer to this. Do the normal capital rules apply to an IS claim which incorporates pensioner premiums because the partner is over pension age, or do the more lenient rules for those over pension age apply?

Thanks

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

The capital limit is benefit specific, not age specific.  So, if a claim properly falls within the IS remit, the IS regs apply.  If the claim falls within the pension credit remit, the PC regs apply.

I am slightly curious why someone who has attained the qualifying age for state pension credit would be on IS.  However, that aspect is not within my knowledge.

shig - 15 July 2011 03:14 PM

Hi

I’ve looked all over but can’t find a definitive answer to this. Do the normal capital rules apply to an IS claim which incorporates pensioner premiums because the partner is over pension age, or do the more lenient rules for those over pension age apply?

Thanks

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Kevin D - 15 July 2011 04:35 PM

I am slightly curious why someone who has attained the qualifying age for state pension credit would be on IS.  However, that aspect is not within my knowledge.

The claimant of the Income Support is under pension age and the partner is the one that has attained pension age. It’s the only way, as I understand it, that a pensioner premium is payable in the case of an Income support claim.

I think the normal capital rules apply to the Income Support claim, regardless of the premium, so I would ask them to claim PCGC asap…..

MoneyAdviceWHA
forum member

Welfare, Stephensons Solicitors, Leigh

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Thanks very much for your replies. Looks like the partner who is over pension age will be claiming GPC, then.