< 1 2

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Timothy Seaside - 08 January 2019 11:20 AM
MartinB - 08 January 2019 10:09 AM

Is there anyway that test and learn, pilots, impact assessments etc…. to ensure what is known as so called “safe delivery” can be done by computer simulation, rather than tried out on real people?

Just asking…..

The trouble with any computer simulation is that it relies on somebody to set the rules. You could write a flight simulator and tell it that down is up.

Looking at how the DWP approaches its test and learn processes, they would probably tell their simulator that all UC applicants are single, working (but with plenty of spare time to do UC claims), IT literate, with one child, monthly rents, some savings, and possibly earning enough that they don’t qualify for UC. Should take about 30 seconds to run all the simulations. But it might take a few months to write the programme, and another couple of years to agree which way is up.

Thanks Tim. I cant see why some sort of independence couldn’t be built in. I would trust Gareth or HB anorak to see fair play.  Its got to be testing on people? I appreciate my campaign to end Benefit testing on humans is in its infancy but we all need to start somewhere.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

No clarity re SDP .... this from Alok Sharma earlier today in the Commons:

May I just clarify, if it was not clear yesterday when we had oral questions, that the Government had previously committed to hold a debate on the affirmative regulations in relation to the managed migration regulations? That will happen in due course, and we will debate them as and when parliamentary time allows. We will of course, as we have set out previously, meet our commitment to severe disability premium recipients.

... and ...

If I may repeat myself, we have committed to holding a debate on any affirmative regulations, we have said we will meet our commitment to those in receipt of severe disability premium, and we have said we will ensure that the regulations are in place so we can start the test phase in July 2019.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2019-01-08/debates/C9F0914F-646B-44A0-B1A8-6E1D5E23A6CA/UniversalCreditManagedMigration

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

So the longer the delay (a) the bigger the trawling exercise to right the wrong (subject to any further court decisions re EDP, disabled child addition etc) (b) the more claimants naturally migrated to UC in the meantime.

Still not listening?

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

shawn - 08 January 2019 04:24 PM

No clarity re SDP ....

However, later in the Lords, Baroness Buscombe said:

We want to make sure that we protect those with severe disability premium .. and that we need to do by the end of this month ....

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/3f1bb556-6d57-4141-a906-3f362ffa2aa9?in=15:17:52

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

A select committee has called for an investigation of how universal credit is causing malnutrition.

This is at the same time the govt is going to pilot 10,000 more folks being moved from legacy benefits to UC

I repeat Test and Learn, and UC pilots should not be trialled on real people to see how they get on, when there is a real danger that as a consequence a proportion end up using food banks.  The government either needs to find new methods of testing (computer simulation)  or only move forward when there products are fit for purpose.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1965

I can see your point, but there is a far greater danger that the 10,000 will be steered with such care, surrounded by superabundant DWP support, that their flawless migration will be hailed by DWP as a stunning success, and all criticism will once again be dismissed outright.

THEN the cluster-thingy will re-start…..

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Universal Credit ‘reset’ to be announced today to include:

- changes to 2-child policy,
- steps to make weekly & fortnightly payments more accessible
- a new system for private landlords to get direct payments
- confirmation that managed migration will be tested with 10,000 people

https://news.sky.com/story/universal-credit-gets-reset-as-amber-rudd-scraps-two-child-benefits-cap-11604082

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jan/10/two-child-limit-on-universal-credit-to-be-partially-rolled-back?

Grauniad report the 10k trial migration will happen before the vote on the regs. I wonder whether they’ve got the wrong end of the stick…

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message