to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC student calculations

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Has anyone succeeded in getting UC to provide a detailed breakdown of how they have calculated a student’s income (undergraduate loan etc.)?

I know how to do the calc but I want to see how UC have arrived at the final figure showing in their payment statement. Requesting it through the journal is getting us nowhere. The response is along the lines of ‘we don’t know the computer does it’. We are having to resort to an MR, via MP etc. The case concerns a ‘disabled student’ couple both with student loans but different levels of additional support grants etc so it is going to be about the most complex student income example possible!

........ more ‘simplification’.

Mo
forum member

University of York Student Support Office

Send message

Total Posts: 4

I have not had any success with this and would also like to know if anyone else has!

I have just asked a claimant to ask again for a detailed breakdown of the calculations in relation to their student loan. In addition to this LCWRA seems to have been applied without a WCA and without explanation as to why. (I would guess it is because of a recent PIP assessment.) The student’s partner has not got any WRR but was not asked about carer element either.

The issue is that we can’t put in a decent challenge to an alleged overpayment without having a reason for the decision.  The overpayment has been added to the journal which has removed the initial calculations so we don’t even have those to look back on.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

We have still had no success with student calc. Getting details of a decision is a particular issue with UC. Often having to make an MR / appeal (not just student cases) with minimal info. often as a fishing exercise to obtain relevant info in the DWP’s submission in order to see if there is any merit in the challenge in the first place!!